Bad Language.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by LabelKing, Sep 15, 2008.

1. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

i'm no sailor, but i cuss pretty fucking frequently. i attribute it to lazy parenting. 2 of my earliest babysitters were richard pryor and eddie murphy. my older sister had me listening to george carlin before i was 10.

2. lefty

lefty Senior member

While I do use profanity in private conversation I find it offensive in public and usually say something to the perpetrator.

50/50 on how well it goes over.

"Hey guys,. can I ask you to watch your language?"

"Sure, sorry."

Versus...

"Hey fellows, can I ask you to keep the language down?"

"Fuck you, asshole."

lefty

3. Treen

Treen Senior member

I don't swear very often, but I don't particularly mind if other people do.

Also, I think when you are debating about something with someone, the first person to either swear or raise their voice basically automatically looses.

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Certainly anything is possible the person i met was a landscaping contractor who i happened to go to school with. Never mentioned supplier.

Actually, you did, but you have edited it out. See the reference in this post:

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=184

What also made me think you might be applying, shall we say, "writer's embellishments" is this post:

Financial Advisor,

One who spoke during a professional selling class i took was 29 years old making 400k/yr and working 30 hour weeks, she was also african american and started in the business with next to no connections.

And several experienced FA guys chimed on this, saying was exceedingly unlikely.

But in keeping with the thread, who gives a fuck? [​IMG]

5. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

You have a wonderful way of ignoring the point and making up lies.

I'm not Average, and things in life are often Unlikely, but still occure.

the FA that spoke in my class was NOT average, average is usually pretty unimpressive, and would rarely be someone invited to come to classes and speak to people.

Simply because you dont believe something neither makes it False or impossible.

6. Piobaire

You have a wonderful way of ignoring the point and making up lies.

The only lies were the ones I quoted from you. 400k/year, 29 y/o FA working 30 hours weeks with no connections? [​IMG] And it wasn't me that called "bullshit" on that, it was several other people, people with experience in being an FA.

7. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Dude, you're making up Bullshit.

30 hours a week and no connections are your own embellishments. You like to twist things, she may have started at 21 with no connections, but by 29 she i'm sure has plenty.

She told me her first year she made 40k, second year 90k and it stacks upon itself if you maintain connections as well as make new ones.

What do you do for a living Piobaire?

8. Piobaire

Ah, you edited the post, but here is someone quoting it:

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=163

The quote:

So this sub-contractor for you is now a landscaper, who you went to highschool with, you met once to sub-contract for him? Not even a new contact! Sub-contractors work for you btw, not vice versa.

9. Piobaire

Dude, you're making up Bullshit.

30 hours a week and no connections are your own embellishments. You like to twist things, she may have started at 21 with no connections, but by 29 she i'm sure has plenty.

She told me her first year she made 40k, second year 90k and it stacks upon itself if you maintain connections as well as make new ones.

What do you do for a living Piobaire?

It says quite clearly, she started with no connections:

Ahhh, I see you've edited yet again. You do that alot. Why?

EDIT: Left out the 30 hours a week. No Skinny, you are lying. You clearly said 30 hours a week. Please read the quote and check out the link to your own post. No need to lie....on my part.

10. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Barely a sentence comes out of my mouth without some kind of swear word in it. At my office, swearing is very common. I grew up swearing - my dad swears a lot, my brother swears a lot (though, my mother rarely swear) - it's just normal. It's not that big of a deal.

11. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

i could understand the occasional swear word when in a fit of anger or when you get physically hurt, stab yourself in the hand, etc.
    i dont use any swear words myself vocally, but i do understand those who do use it above.

what i dont understand,

are those who use four letter words so gratuitously and so casually, like every other word in their sentence /speaking they say it. there are several of these fellows that live at my apt complex, and when they walk by the window, whether they are on the phone or with someone, i can always count on hearing one or two four-letter words, even within the time span of 5 -10 seconds they pass by my window.

they are that predictable.

12. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

what i dont understand,

are those who use four letter words so gratuitously and so casually, like every other word in their sentence /speaking they say it. there are several of these fellows that live at my apt complex, and when they walk by the window, whether they are on the phone or with someone, i can always count on hearing one or two four-letter words, even within the time span of 5 -10 seconds they pass by my window.

they are that predictable.

What, exactly, do you not understand about it?

13. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Pretty sure you're already dumber than a brick.
    In this instance, I prefer "dumber than a box of hair".

Although I wouldn't put that on kwilk; he comes off as a quite intelligent young man. Unlike some...

14. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

I find my language, 'bad' or 'good', tempered by my company. Occasionally I let slip some obscenity when I'm with the 'other' people and the look on their faces is a picture.
    I feel the situation and subject being discussed should give an indication as to the language boundaries. Language is language, and there to be used.

15. Piobaire

Language is language, and there to be used.

For some reason, that sentence appeals to me.