• We would like to welcome Sprezzabox to the Styleforum family as an official Affiliate Vendor! SprezzaBox is a monthly subscription service for men, delivering a unique selection of fashion and lifestyle accessories right to your doorstep.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Bad Language.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm curious, do people use bad language in their daily conversation?

I had recently finished watching Six Feet Under, and the characters on that show made prolific use of bad language.

Quite frankly, I'm uncomfortable at using such words except in context. For example, I would say in conversation that Edward Durell Stone was a bit of a "Fuck You" architect.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am a sales manager and an ex-infantry sargeant. it is really really hard for me to cut "Fuck" out of my sentances. it really is. i could comfortably fit "fuck" into 3/4ths of all of my sentances, if I didn't think that it would piss off my wife, and get my kids thrown out of school. I work hard at keeping my mouth clean, when I am off work. at work, at the gym, pretty much when I am not around my kids, I am a potty mouth.

unrated

Reaction score
Fuck is a universal word that can be used in almost any sentence and take on many different connotations.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was a child, I was always told that the only people to use such language were those with limited verbal ability. I consistently scored in the top percentiles in terms of verbal ability on standardized tests such as the GRE and GMAT. I use bad language not because I can't find another way to express myself, but rather because it is effective. I could go on rather long winded tirades with lots of obscure words and literary references, or I could just sprinkle some profanity in my sentences. Which method gathers more attention? The profanity.

X-It

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I try so hard not to use some words in Dutch -- 'godverdomme' and 'klootzak' when things are not going well. It comes automatically out of my mouth.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't use this kind of language unless it is to make a point. This way, when I use these words, people that know me take notice because I do not use them often.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I'm curious, do people use bad language in their daily conversation?

Very infrequently.

ADH

Reaction score
Not quite sure I buy the whole "effective" mechanism of the word fuck. Honestly, it's just fun to say. Blue collar work is nothing but f-bombs and every other expletive from A to Z so no one is really fretting over being called a "fucking jackass" versus a jackass, I guess I'm just a product of the environment. The only case I think in which the "effective" status applies if the pastor of some space-god, Christian church dropped it from the pulpit and you were there to witness it. That would be fuckin' tight! Or perhaps Obama telling McCain, "Fuck you man, we need some change".

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Swearing is so sweet. I should cut it out of my vocab. Sometimes swearing is overused to much its effect and meaning is rendered useless.

Diem

Reaction score
It all depends who I am talking to. I would have to say I swear a lot tho.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the office or when talking to clients I never use that kind of speech but with the boys I'm more loose yet I try to keep in check. I must admit that on a day like this with the market doing what it might I cold sprinkle in the odd word.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I curse a lot. Normally it is just with my friends, but it got so bad that now it's around my parents, my girlfriend, my classmates, etc. I'm trying to cut back. I feel like the words have less meaning if you use them all the time. Also, I just don't want to be the guy who looks so uneducated that he can't make his point without swearing.

Connemara

[URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Also, I just don't want to be the guy who looks so uneducated that he can't make his point without swearing.
Pretty sure you're already dumber than a brick.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 85 17.3%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 158 32.2%
  • 8”

Votes: 141 28.7%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 57 11.6%
  • 9”

Votes: 25 5.1%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 11 2.2%