• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bad fabric?? or bad dry cleaner?

james48

Reaction score
i recently took a pair of pants to the dry cleaner for the first time - they came back with some discoloration on the front of 1 leg. They are light grey pants, basically there are some blotches that are really light grey as if chemicals took the color off. The dry cleaner says the fabric is to blame, it wasnt dyed evenly/properly, she even asked "is this the first time you dry cleaned them?", which it was so maybe she is right. Does this sound logical? would like some more info before i go back to the tailor and fight for a new pair (they were mtm). Thanks

james48

Reaction score
bump for the work crowd - any ideas???? thanks

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have any expertise, but here is my opinion. If the fabric was defective, the color should have changed on the entire garment. Spotting would, IMHO, only occur if the dry cleaning chemicals were not applied evenly. I really don't know a lot about the dry cleaning process, but I would blame the cleaners. Have you spoken with the person who made the pants? I would let those two fight it out.

beau nash

Reaction score
First, let me say you should work this out with whomever you think is responsible for the damage. If you don't know, I would try to get my money back from the retailer first.

Does your dry cleaner limit their liability for damaged clothes? Mine has something on the back of the ticket that says that they will pay five times the cost of cleaning or something like that. My clothes usually cost a lot more than that, and I would rather have all my money back on new, damages clothes than that lesser sum. If this was the first time you cleaned them, I would try to take them back where you bought them rather than try to hold the dry cleaner responsible. The retailer could replace them or refund your money, in which case you get full value. If not, you may be stuck with whatever your dry cleaner has on the ticket.

If you do decide to try to get reimbursed from the dry cleaner, be sure to talk to the owner or manager. The result may be the same but why waste time talking to the clerk, who is going to eventually call the manager anyway?

james48

Reaction score
thanks for the replies. I mentioned to her that if the fabric was defective it should be all around the entire garment, not just on the front of 1 leg, she said it was not dyed evenly, and thats what happens. I was skeptical at first, but when she suggested it was the first time i dry cleaned them, i felt like maybe she is right. As far as getting reimbursed, has anybody ever had any luck with that?? There is no way to prove the pants werent like that when i brought them in, I would think I would have no case.

beau nash

Reaction score
I have never had any clothing that was damaged because of inferior dye. Actually, now that I think about it, I had a red tattersall shirt from BB from which the red threads suddenly disappeared. They took the shirt back. That's one garment in three decades of buying my own clothes. Other than that, the damage has always been by the dry cleaners.

Let us know if you decide to try to get your money back or if you try again with the dry cleaners. I would be interested to know how that turns out.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by james48
thanks for the replies. I mentioned to her that if the fabric was defective it should be all around the entire garment, not just on the front of 1 leg, she said it was not dyed evenly, and thats what happens. I was skeptical at first, but when she suggested it was the first time i dry cleaned them, i felt like maybe she is right. As far as getting reimbursed, has anybody ever had any luck with that?? There is no way to prove the pants werent like that when i brought them in, I would think I would have no case.

Dry clean them one more time to see what happens. Perhaps it is gone. Or it is worse and it is clear where the problem was?!

james48

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Golf_Nerd
Dry clean them one more time to see what happens. Perhaps it is gone. Or it is worse and it is clear where the problem was?!

yea when i brought them back the first lady offered to clean them again. When i went to pick them up this time, the other lady was there (who suggested it was the dye). The second cleaning didnt seem to make it any better or worse.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads