• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bad creases in shoes after one wear

pieropl

Reaction score
Hi guys, a couple weeks ago I bought a pair of black oxfords from a local store. After being worn once, they are looking like this

They have very deep and uneven creases, like those of loose leather or corrected grain. What do you think?

Pd: I always use shoe trees.

mdubya

Reaction score
One of the biggest myths on this board, in my opinion, is that shoes that are too big can cause those thick, veiny loose-grain creases. Simply put the leather on the vamp is low quality. Nothing much you can do at this point. I've sold shoes in the past due to creasing like that, part of what you pay for with the higher end brands is their more selective leather and clicking practices.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They are too big for you.

One of the biggest myths on this board, in my opinion, is that shoes that are too big can cause those thick, veiny loose-grain creases. Simply put the leather on the vamp is low quality.

I'd go with a little from column A, and a little from column B. There's no reason why they can't be both too big and poor quality leather, and in fact that's what I would guess.

pieropl

Reaction score
Thanks guys, it looks like the vamp has poor quality loose-grain leather. I dont think the shoes are not the right size, the fit problem seems to come from the elongated last, even though they feel comfortable when worn.
Anyway,this is the second time I have had this loose-grain problem with shoes from this particular store. Here we have a lot of domestic shoemakers and most of them run rather small workshops. I guess the workshop this store is sourcing from has low quality standards. The shoes were not particularly cheap by domestic standards and I'm used to getting much better leather for the same or less from othera shops. As an example, this are two pairs of well worn shoes that are actually a full size too big and have sustained regular use, sometimes two days on a row and without trees. The brown boots actually costed me less than half and have a nice thick leather.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree poor leather causing natural but premature deformation

ERok32

Reaction score
Those creases look similar to a pair of shoe passion plain toes. Horrible creases after one wear.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi guys, a couple weeks ago I bought a pair of black oxfords from a local store. After being worn once, they are looking like this

They have very deep and uneven creases, like those of loose leather or corrected grain. What do you think?

Pd: I always use shoe trees.

The left hand shoe has clearly worse quality leather than the right also - much wider wrinkles in the left

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Even the shoes fit properly, the "horrible " creases are mostly due to inferior leather itself. BTW, these are not corrected grain. Correct grain has the shiny plasty look.

Not always true - corrected leather can have an embossed grain too and in a variety of finishes. Certainly can be shiny and grain free but the fact that it isnt doesnt necessarily mean full grain

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads