• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Backpack for bicycling

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
So I'm trying to ride more -- not super distances or anything, mostly just around town. Trying to run errands on the weekends (although I do try to hit a variety of different locations so I at least log a few extra miles) on the bike, and my start riding to work at once a week or so. I'd like to find a decent backpack with good capacity (so I can ride to the market and pick up some groceries, etc.) but that sits well and is relatively non-constricting while I'm riding. I don't need a hydration system, and I don't need a bunch of "organizer" pockets for laptop, etc. -- I'd rather maximize storage space. Anybody have one they ride with and are happy with? Thanks

Mentos

Reaction score
In the proud tradition of not answering the question asked: if you don't have a superstar road bike, you should think about putting on a rear rack and attaching a pannier. It will be far more comfortable, because the center of gravity will be lower, there will be no strain on your back, and you won't sweat as much. They're easy to install. A more convenient option is a rear rack with a wire basket that you can just toss your groceries, etc. into. Then there's no theft issue. But a wire basket isn't for everyone.

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mentos
In the proud tradition of not answering the question asked: if you don't have a superstar road bike, you should think about putting on a rear rack and attaching a pannier. It will be far more comfortable, because the center of gravity will be lower, there will be no strain on your back, and you won't sweat as much. They're easy to install. A more convenient option is a rear rack with a wire basket that you can just toss your groceries, etc. into. Then there's no theft issue. But a wire basket isn't for everyone.

+1

I wore a backpack when riding for many years, and switching to a pannier was great. Not only the sweat-reduction issue (I think you sweat the same, it just evaporates easier) and freedom of movement not having anything on your back, but also if you wear a reflective or high-vis jacket/shirt, it's not obscured.

mikej77

Reaction score
One more reason is pack items on the bike as opposed to your back is that if you ever had on a backpack and fell off your bike, you could do serious damage to your spine.

Mentos

Reaction score
Oh, and if you ride around in your nice SF duds, you won't get them wrinkled by having something strapped across your back.

Merckx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to hear you are trying to ride more LD, keep after it!
fing02[1].gif

aragon765

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mentos

+1 on that, plus all the other reasons given. A townie bike should be equipped to carry the load, not your back. Cycling with weight on your back sucks, cycling with weight on your bike is much less painful.

Good work on cycling more. I never owned a car until I was 28 thanks to the joys of the bicycle (ok, it sucks in the rain, but it sure is less expensive!!)

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What kind of bike do you ride?
You guys are nuts, this is styleforum. Put panniers on your bike and you'll look like a granola crunching hippie. LD is a young guy and we live in LA. If you're riding any variation of a roadbike, get a messenger bag. I own this one: http://www.baileyworks.com/catalog/product.cfm?id=2 It's a dedicated messenger bag that professional messengers use. Storage can't be beat, it's expandable - you could fit a bankers' box inside this thing.

I'd admit though, a dedicated messenger bag is only comfortable on the bike, it's almost worthless for much else. If you want something more versatile, get this: http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/...eries-backpack It will also appeal to your Bay Area roots.

If you do decide to get a backpack/messenger bag, don't forget to buy a high visibility color. I used to ride from the westside to downtown LA. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Merckx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renault78law
LD is a young guy and we live in LA.

LD is a young guy??? Dude, I can remember him telling me about one day in the early 70's when he almost ran down Al Davis crossing the street, threw his vehicle in reverse, nearly clipped Mr. Furcoat to finish the job and then sped off.

Well...... I might have exaggerated a little in recalling the story.... just a little ....

Mentos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renault78law
What kind of bike do you ride?
You guys are nuts, this is styleforum. Put panniers on your bike and you'll look like a granola crunching hippie. LD is a young guy and we live in LA. If you're riding any variation of a roadbike, get a messenger bag. I own this one: http://www.baileyworks.com/catalog/product.cfm?id=2 It's a dedicated messenger bag that professional messengers use. Storage can't be beat, it's expandable - you could fit a bankers' box inside this thing.

I'd admit though, a dedicated messenger bag is only comfortable on the bike, it's almost worthless for much else. If you want something more versatile, get this: http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/...eries-backpack It will also appeal to your Bay Area roots.

If you do decide to get a backpack/messenger bag, don't forget to buy a high visibility color. I used to ride from the westside to downtown LA. Let me know if you have any more questions.

If not wanting a banker's box on my back makes me a hippie, then a hippie I be!

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on Timbuk2. They have a wide range of messenger bags available, there should be something that fits your needs. I've been hauling crap for the last 3 years through snow, rain, etc. in my Timbuk2 messenger bag and it still looks pretty good. These things are pretty indestructable.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Renault and I have met (we should do it again and catch up), so his calling me a "young guy" is simply graciousness. That said, I was a kid in the '70's (born in '68) and not driving yet -- it was only about 3-4 years ago that I almost ran down Al Davis in a crosswalk.

I'm going to look into the pannier option, which is a good suggestion. One of the things I do on the bike is a circuit of errands that includes hitting Trader Joe's, so a messenger bag doesn't really hold enough stuff (think a box of cereal, a couple of tubs of yogurt, a few frozen dinners, chips or cookies, and a bottle of booze). Plus, if I do start riding to work on occasion, I'll probably want to be able to carry a fresh shirt and a pair of dress shoes.

I ride an old Ironhorse something-or-other hybrid with street tires.

WishEllis

Reaction score
I've been using an Ortlieb Velocity pack the last few months (20 mile commute in LA). It's light enough to not feel bulky when empty, simply designed - just a big waterproof roll top sack really!, elegant in its minimalism. Yet it can carry a twelvepack, Chicken Pot Pies galore and the odd orchid, especially with the top unrolled - and it still feels secure with the chest and waist strap. It would also double as a good haul pack for expeditions due to its design and waterproofness. Panniers are always a good option, though, if your bike has the appropriate brazeons (mine doesn't).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics