Backless black tie waistcoat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Poincare, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Poincare

Poincare Active Member

Hello all,

I'm looking for a backless black tie waistcoat. You used to be able to get these everywhere but I can't find any RTW ones anywhere.
    This one: [​IMG]

Is RLPL and the only RTW one I've seen. Does anywhere know where else might have them?

Alternatively, evening wear waistcoats in general (fully lined, non-backless)? Full dress white marcella waistcoats seem to be in abundance but the only places selling black evening waistcoats seem to be Ede & Ravenscroft and Oliver Brown.

Failing finding a black evening waistcoat, what do you think of white full dress waistcoats with black tie? Apparently they were preferred once upon a time but strike me as a bit antiquated now. If they are acceptable then I'm supposing white studs rather than black with the shirt?

Full dress waistcoats introduce a potential patternation difficulty of marcella on marcella when being worn with marcella turndown shirts. I wonder if perhaps they best coupled with either full-dress boiled shirts or fly fronted turndown shirts?

In any case your comments would be much appreciated.

2. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

3. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

4. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

If the waistband of your trousers is lower than, say, 2" below your navel, it's a trouser problem, not a waistcoat problem, and you'll have the same problem with the white waistcoats.

On white versus black waistcoats: you can do it for more formal events, no need to have white studs, but you should also have a detachable starched wing collar shirt. I wouldn't be concerned with marcella on marcella patterns. Anyone coming close enough to really inspect the difference is probably someone you're going to undress for anyway.

5. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

The vest didn't even cover my navel. I tried on others (not nearly as nice) that fit just fine. Based on the reviews, I am definitely not the only one having this problem. Being short, at 5'7", I thought it might be worth a try. I can't imagine this working on anyone taller either.

6. johnvw

johnvw Senior member

www.finetuxedos.com and www.smarttuxedo.com both sell backless adjustable tuxedo vests (low cut with lapels) in black and white versions for $39.95. In my personal experience, customer service at www.finetuxedo.com has been easier to reach and to deal with.

Also, according to www.blacktieguide.com, wearing a white formal vest with a tuxedo is acceptable as a contemporary take on formal wear.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012