• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Back to the kitchen?

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
My wife and I were at a well-received seafood restaurant tonight in D.C. (Wash Post raved about it; high Zagat ratings, etc.)

Ordered an $18 crabcake, which was excellent until the fourth bite when I crunched down on a piece of shell, the size of a tooth.

Settle a debate between the missus and myself: Is this grounds for sending it back?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
absolutely. or at the very least have the waitress tell the exec chef so the chef de partie gets yelled at

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johdus Fanfoozal
My wife and I were at a well-received seafood restaurant tonight in D.C. (Wash Post raved about it; high Zagat ratings, etc.)

Ordered an $18 crabcake, which was excellent until the fourth bite when I crunched down on a piece of shell, the size of a tooth.

Settle a debate between the missus and myself: Is this grounds for sending it back?

I almost never send anything back but when they give you something inedible and something that might hurt you you definitely should send it back. I can almost guarantee they'll be mortified and comp you something.

enjoiii

Reaction score
I'm not usually one to send stuff back, but for something like that I totally would. They would probably comp you something for that.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless you were chomping on a tooth/filling that fell out you should have certainly sent it back

JhwkMac

Reaction score
It is grounds for sending it back. I would say it is not grounds to badmouth the restaurant or be upset. When you are going through such large amount of crab meat, as I imagine a large DC seafood restaurant would, there is going to be some shell that gets in there.

One neat trick that we did at a restaurant I worked at is in the room where the seafood is broken down, we had a UV light installed so that when we picked through crab meat we would turn all of the lights off and turn on the UV. makes the shell stand out easily from the meat and be easily removed.

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
I wanted to send it back. My wife didn't. She argued what the poster above said: that bits of shells often get into crabmeat. I argued that I'm paying $18 for that not to happen. She fluttered her eyes, pouted a bit and had me in the palm of her hand. I didn't send it back.

The crabcake was half eaten by the time I bit the shell. Truth be told, it was still so good and I was so damn hungry, that I gobbled up the rest of it with abandon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics