• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Back pain... advice sought

aleeboy

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I wrote that I was experiencing some pain in my back after my deadlift workout. Well, it's been two weeks and the pain is still there. It's not a constant pain, but it comes when i am doing something that involves holding my core solid - like vacuuming of all things.

I tooko two weeks off working out and returned this morning. Everything I lifted, with the exception of BP, was down considerably. I feel pretty ******. When i went to push press, I cleaned the weight off the floor and felt some funny feeling in my lower back... again, this is not painful, but rather annoying?

I have now resorted to step-ups for my lower body work. I no longer have the confidence to deadlift or squat anymore. Any others experiences something like this? Am I good to resume lifts such as squats, deads and good morning?

I know you're not doctors, but let me know if you've got something to add.

Frustrated Gym-Rat,

AL

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't remember, had you done DL's before or were you new to them?
Regardless, don't worry about your weights being down.
Take care of yourself and get healthy.

If I was in your shoes I'd take another two weeks off (do bench press only workouts, etc.).
Then ease into DL and Squats (very light reps for a couple weeks with strict form).
See how your back feels after a month.
It may even be worthwhile to have someone knowledgeable check your form for you.
(I've been doing DL's for years though.)

Probably a better option would be to play it safe and go see a doctor sooner rather than later. . .

gungadin25

Reaction score
I had exactly the same problem. I couldn't deadlift or squat for 6 mos. The pain was much worse b/c I did not stop immediately when the problem first manifested itself. You know what fixed it for me? The hula hoop game in Wii fit. The gyrating reset something in my back. I'm still very cautious when I deadlift, and I only do light weights.

My advice is to take it easy and stop doing deadlifts until you are completely sure the problem is gone.

AintDatRite

Reaction score
I would suggest a trip to the doctor to get checked for herniated/ruptured disc...

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would you ask about this (again) on a message board rather than going to see a doctor?

Don't mess with your back! If it's a herniated disk, they will most likely recommend conservative treatment* but it would still be good to know before you eff up your back even more and then do require surgery.

Conservative treatment would consist of maybe a couple days of bed rest, followed by avoiding any activities that cause you back pain while continuing to go about your normal daily activities. Perhaps some physical therapy (likely not) with some flexibility and gentle strengthening exercises.

May use heat as well as OTC pain meds. If that doesn't work, you may get some prescription pain meds, maybe some "nerve pain pills" like Neurontin, maybe muscle relaxants if you're having spasms and maybe steroid injections into the area.

Time will then be your friend. If the pain doesn't go away in a couple of months then you should be re-evaluated for surgery.

Anyway, go see your doctor and then take it from there.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
could be slipped disk.

If not, and you just strained the muscles in your lower back, this type of injury can take a couple of months to heal - at least. I suggest that you take it easy, either stopp working out for a few weeks, or if you must, don't go too heavy, and opt for more isolation exercises so as to not put too much strain in your back. Unfortunately, it will mean that you will lose the gains you got up to that point. These things happen. Happened to me a number of times in the 16+ years of lifting since high school.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on the doctor suggestion.

I have pulled a muscle in my back before (not from deadlifting), and it takes a long time to heal. The doc will probably take an xray (that is what they did for me) to see if you did something bad to your spine or a disc.

In my case, it was a muscle pull, and it took me a few months to get back to 100%.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
+2. i had back pain after heavy rowing 10 years ago, ignored it, continued training and it was eventually found to be 3 disk ruptures.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
Why would you ask about this (again) on a message board rather than going to see a doctor?

Don't mess with your back! If it's a herniated disk, they will most likely recommend conservative treatment* but it would still be good to know before you eff up your back even more and then do require surgery.

Conservative treatment would consist of maybe a couple days of bed rest, followed by avoiding any activities that cause you back pain while continuing to go about your normal daily activities. Perhaps some physical therapy (likely not) with some flexibility and gentle strengthening exercises.

May use heat as well as OTC pain meds. If that doesn't work, you may get some prescription pain meds, maybe some "nerve pain pills" like Neurontin, maybe muscle relaxants if you're having spasms and maybe steroid injections into the area.

Time will then be your friend. If the pain doesn't go away in a couple of months then you should be re-evaluated for surgery.

+1000. Take back pain seriously!

Mauby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aleeboy

...I know you're not doctors, but let me know if you've got something to add...

Originally Posted by philosophe
+1000. Take back pain seriously!

Seriously man, do really need us to tell you to see the doctor?

aleeboy

Reaction score
However... for those who were diagnosed with a problem, be it slipped disc or muscular, did it translate into NO GYM for you? Or is it a matter of not doing exercises that put a lot of pressure on your back?

I'm just thinking it will be machines for me as you need to pick up DBs and BBs off the ground for a lot of the lifts I'd like to do.

Damn............

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aleeboy
However... for those who were diagnosed with a problem, be it slipped disc or muscular, did it translate into NO GYM for you? Or is it a matter of not doing exercises that put a lot of pressure on your back?

I'm just thinking it will be machines for me as you need to pick up DBs and BBs off the ground for a lot of the lifts I'd like to do.

Damn............

Actually even with the pain, do you wear a belt to gym?
If not, try it. You can still do tons of stuff in the gym with a belt.
If you feel pain despite a belt, then you know you are in really deep ****.

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie

Agreed. Don't mess with a possible herniated. Even if the pain does eventually go away, the injury will come back bite you ********** years later. Get it checked out.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course he should see a doctor. However, the subtext is that he doesn't seem to want to stay out of the gym. Whatever the injury is, in the future more focus on the core (such as abs) likely is needed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads