• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Back of suit fit

floridasenior

Reaction score
I think the back of this suit jacket looks good, but would like opinions. Sometimes in advertisements I see backs of suit jackets that appear perfectly smooth, but I don't see how you could move your arms forward if that was the case. Most advertisements show some looseness in the back.
IMG_8035.JPG

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the waist is fine. It looks as though the shoulders might be a tad wide though.

As for the back of the suits in ads, those are highly stylized with lots of pulling, cinching and let’s not forget photoshopping, in order to present some idealized vision.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Side views would help understand the back fit better.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The back of the coat is fine.

Sometimes tailors leave a bit of extra room around the armscye. This is sometimes referred to as "drape." The extra room allows you to easily move your arms forward. When done well, the excess material should "drape" cleanly on the outer edges of the coat's blades/ armhole.

I personally would not narrow the shoulders. Many men look better with slightly extended shoulders.

floridasenior

Reaction score
A comment on the shoulders being too wide. I agree that from the back it looks like the shoulders could be smaller. I read that one way to tell if the shoulder fit is correct is to lean into a wall and that your shoulder and then the shoulder pad should hit the wall (some people say they should hit at the same time). When I do this, my shoulder hits the wall first and then the shoulder pad. Also, I can feel that the shoulder pads do not extend beyond my shoulders. Both of these indicate to me that the shoulder fit is correct.

compuccesory

Reaction score
A comment on the shoulders being too wide. I agree that from the back it looks like the shoulders could be smaller. I read that one way to tell if the shoulder fit is correct is to lean into a wall and that your shoulder and then the shoulder pad should hit the wall (some people say they should hit at the same time). When I do this, my shoulder hits the wall first and then the shoulder pad. Also, I can feel that the shoulder pads do not extend beyond my shoulders. Both of these indicate to me that the shoulder fit is correct.

There's a wide range of shoulder widths that would be considered a good fit. The wall test you mentioned is one but I think you should consider that they should be of a width that's proportional to both your head and the rest of your body, so that they neither your head or the rest of your body appears either disproportionately big or small. So if you are a slim shouldered person with a proportionally larger head, then wider, more structured shoulders would help to remedy that and give you a more well proportioned silhouette, and conversely, if you have wide linebacker shoulders, less structure would be more appropriate. Although exactly how much shoulder accentuation changes with fashion, that general principle should hold true.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The back looks nice and clean. Excellent work! I wouldn't alter the shoulders or anything else and wear it as is.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads