• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Back in the game...

McCraine

Reaction score
Coming out of retirement at age 57, I'm headed to the Philippines with shorter trips to Japan, Taiwan, Germany and China. This tour of duty will take 18 months to 2 years.

I need suits...and shirts...and ties...and it's hot in the Philippines. I'm currently overweight and prefer the "sack" suit look. I'd buy a half dozen Oxxfords if the budget allowed, but it doesn't (yet).

Any suggestions for getting back in the game for around $5k or $6k (USD)?

Thanks.

BernieStevens

Reaction score
Congrats for getting back! I've got no answers for you but best of luck! In this world it takes a lot to "get back in the game."

ktrp

Reaction score
If only you were going to be travelling to some countries where decent quality m2m was available at an affordable price.

emptym

Reaction score
If you can wait till you get to Asia to buy some things, I'd get a very nice suit or two from WW Chan in Hong Kong, and serviceable pants, shirts and suits from Cornell's in Manila.

djwoblely

Reaction score
In the Philippines its appropriate to wear a Barong tagalog to work. 90% of the time its just too hot/humid to wear a suit. Depending on what the "game is though", there are different types of barongs. I'm a fan of the Pina"off white" color but it seems the darker blue ones are more typically worn in the office.

BBC

Reaction score
O'Connells (http://shop.oconnellsclothing.com/) stocks RTW sack suits, Brooks Brothers has some, as does J. Press.

Where do you live in the South? There are a decent number of independent men's shops scattered throughout the South that still carry sack suits and the usual traditional brands for odd trousers, shirts, ties, etc.

Raralith

Reaction score
If you are only back in the game for 18 to 24 months, see if you can get RTW that fits you well instead of MTM. Forget the look you are currently going for, just get something that you'll look good in after tailoring. I'd probably hit up BB for your budget:
- 3 suits for ~$750ish each, $2,250 total
- 10 shirts for $66 each (3 for $199, less if you have the corporate card), $660 total
- 5 slacks of tropical wool for $100ish each, $500 total
- 2 sport coats or 1 sport coat and 1 blazer for $300 each, $600 total
- 3 pairs of shoes black, brown, burgundy, whatever style from Allen Edmonds you what for $300 each, $900 total

This is $4,910, few hundred for tax, remaining for tailoring, ties, pocket squares, socks, underwear. Quality is still good, price isn't fantastic though you could wait for a sale, but what makes this good for you is that you can walk into a store, spend 2 hours, and pick them up in a week after tailoring. Spend your time, instead of hitting up 5 stores, brushing up on your business skills. It's good to look nice (I consult on the side), but once you speak to clients, clothing normally flies out the window, especially if you aren't very good at what you are doing.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
If you can wait till you get to Asia to buy some things, I'd get a very nice suit or two from WW Chan in Hong Kong, and serviceable pants, shirts and suits from Cornell's in Manila.

To give you some idea, a half-canvassed suit from Cornell's costs around P8,000-12,000 depending on fabric. Shirts are P1,000-P1,300.

Exchange rate today is roughly 44 pesos to 1 US dollar.

*#..

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
To give you some idea, a half-canvassed suit from Cornell's costs around P8,000-12,000 depending on fabric. Shirts are P1,000-P1,300.

Exchange rate today is roughly 44 pesos to 1 US dollar.

That's a good deal for quality suits/shirts. Definitely show him a suit of yours so he knows exactly what you want.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads