• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Back in college

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where did you work during your college years?
eh.gif

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hollister...
peepwall[1].gif
for a couple weeks... Also, I was a lifeguard during the summers and occasionally during the semester for the last couple years. And a brief stint as an intern for an immigration services non-profit.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
Hollister...
peepwall[1].gif
for a couple weeks...

Also, I was a lifeguard during the summers and occasionally during the semester for the last couple years.

And a brief stint as an intern for an immigration services non-profit.

so you generally just didn't work while you were in school?
eh.gif

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Server at "Chinese" restaurant, student campus guide, and tutor, sometimes all at once.

Good times. I found that working during school was good for prioritizing and getting my life on track.

minus

Reaction score
A liquor store. Theoretically, this was a good idea. In reality, it sucked.

Kookz

Reaction score
Delivered pizza. Awesome job, still miss it to this day.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Worked in a part of Detroit called "Bricktown." Bartended, door, valet. It was a seriously great time in my life.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Teacher's Aide.

teacha.gif

videogeek

Reaction score
The first time around I worked in a mom and pop record store. Best job ever, but terrible pay.

ektaylor

Reaction score
1. Campaign assitant for local city council member
2. Part of a disaster action team for the American Red Cross (unpaid, but huge time sink)
3. Office staffer for state senator
4. Policy researcher for a local city's HR department (actually reformed an entire injury and illness prevention policy before the age of 21).

I'm currently in my last year and working at the Commonwealth Club of California in SF.

Kohan

Reaction score
Main campus library, where I regularly ask myself how my university can admit people of such mind-boggling ineptitude that they cannot figure out a basic call number system.

Great SF time, though.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ektaylor
1. Campaign assitant for local city council member 2. Part of a disaster action team for the American Red Cross (unpaid, but huge time sink) 3. Office staffer for state senator 4. Policy researcher for a local city's HR department (actually reformed an entire injury and illness prevention policy before the age of 21). I'm currently in my last year and working at the Commonwealth Club of California in SF.
Your resume is very similar to mine!
wow.gif

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
golf shop assistant for first year and a half
sophomore year got an internship at local bank, after 6 months turned full time and have been there since. i graduate in may and will own said bank come december

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First year, stayed with the job I'd had previously as a customer service guy at a tiny manufacturing company. Worked 8 a.m. until 10 a.m., then classes, then 3 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Nice and flexible. Learned so much at that job.

Second year, got an awesome job working 32 hours every second weekend at a group home for adults with disabilities. Downside was cleaning up poop. Upside was making a couple hundred bucks for basically sleeping, playing board games with adults, and cooking them meals.

Summer between second and third, developed marketing material for a local library. Lots of fun, easy stuff.

Third year I think I slacked off, although I did work as a computer lab proctor for a couple weeks. Boring as hell. Can't really remember why I quit though. Must have had a big student loan.

Fourth year and the extra semester I took, worked for the school newspaper as graphic designer and then copy editor. Made a flat $75 per issue. Worked two hours per issue. Awesome.

Summer in between fourth and the extra semester, had a job doing surveys of rural businesses for the provincial government (got it through a fraternity alum). Drove around the countryside in my '83 Rabbit, asking old couples questions about their business.

For the last two years still managed to be VP and then Pres of my frat, and held Board positions on the campus radio station.

I still took out around $8,000 in loans every year though. Students shouldn't have to have serious or full-time jobs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads