• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Back from New York shopping trip - How'd I do?

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The RLBL suit could be great or a total disaster. Let's see the pics.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by closetmess
I agree - And I did get some amazing deals

I think I got the last 38S from the Woodbury RL store, the BL suit was $449 after discount, retail $1795
bounce2.gif

The Tod's shoes were sample size, $140 after discount, original $385.

As mentioned above, the HB suit was under $300 at Barney's Co-op, retail $1095.

The Piatelli navy blazer was $117 after discount, retail was $695.

The Thomas Pink shirt was $90, the Coach portfolio $99, the Tumi bag $99.

The ties were all on discount, although each certainly worth full pop.

I was in C21 on July 4th, and saw some really nice Luciano Barbera suits for $450. Did you see them? They might have been a nice option as well.

closetmess

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gumercindo
nice prices. I'm cool with the shirts, ties and casualwear. Not sure about the suit - will have to see pics.

Thank you - pics of both suits and jacket coming Tuesday when tailored, will do fit pics as well.

Originally Posted by mishon
The RLBL suit could be great or a total disaster. Let's see the pics.

It is the same as Slycedbred was selling (pic below), only in a dark brown rather than a black

Originally Posted by Stu
I was in C21 on July 4th, and saw some really nice Luciano Barbera suits for $450. Did you see them? They might have been a nice option as well.

I saw some for $599 and the ones that were there seemed a little heavy and boxy for the look I am going for. Nice suits though.

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is the same as Slycedbred was selling (pic below), only in a dark brown rather than a black

I like it. Good price too boot.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
As you hang around here longer, you will become a better bargain shopper.

+1. And please don't wear those Tod's shoes with a suit.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
While I think the brown peaked-lapel suit sounds totally fly, I cannot see it being appropriate at a NYC law firm. You should have gone with blue and charcoal, and nothing but white and blue shirts for now. The black suit, as others have noted, is not StyleForum approved.

closetmess

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
+1. And please don't wear those Tod's shoes with a suit.

Really? Please tell me why not - as mentioned they are a darker brown than they appear in the picture and are a really classic, conservative style.

And why is a simple black suit such a no-no? I see the lawyers every day wearing them. Again, I already have a grey conservative suit and will be getting a navy one come fall/winter.

As always, the advice is appreciated.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really? Please tell me why not - as mentioned they are a darker brown than they appear in the picture and are a really classic, conservative style.

And why is a simple black suit such a no-no? I see the lawyers every day wearing them. Again, I already have a grey conservative suit and will be getting a navy one come fall/winter.

As always, the advice is appreciated.

The shoes are light brown plain toe bluchers and look way too casual for a suit. Perfect for jeans or chinos, maybe a cream linen or tan cotton suit but certainly not a dark business suit. Wear darker brown or black bals.

No one will bat an eye at the black suit, you will fit in perfectly. Most people here don't like black suits for daytime wear but 99% of the people you'll work with won't care.

Nahmeanz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
The shoes are light brown plain toe bluchers and look way too casual for a suit. Perfect for jeans or chinos, maybe a cream linen or tan cotton suit but certainly not a dark business suit. Wear darker brown or black bals.

No one will bat an eye at the black suit, you will fit in perfectly. Most people here don't like black suits for daytime wear but 99% of the people you'll work with won't care.

+1

if you wear such a light pair of shoes with a dark suit, the shoes will stand out way too much in a bad way.

7173jhn

Reaction score
I don't think wearing a brown peak lapel suit from RL is going to hurt you at a law firm that much. It might not be the best for court or a big meeting but most of the time at a law firm you are at your desk with your jacket off anyway. It might look a little too flashly but alot of poorly dressed lawyers like the french cuff shirts, bright colored shirts, ill-fitting suits or double brested suits and they seem to be doing just fine.

7173jhn

Reaction score
Also if you like your suit, think you look good in it and you feel confident in it, it will help you project confidence and sometimes that is the most important thing

JR88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RichmondStyle
A brown, peak-lapel suit is not something that I would pick for a conservative business rotation, much less a black suit.

Why are you going with the peak lapel. I spent several years at a top-5 firm in NY and never once saw someone with peak lapels.

Peak lapels are classic and look great on some frames. And I disagree with the notion that there is any correlation between working at a top-5 NY law firm and knowing how to dress well.

closetmess

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JR88
Peak lapels are classic and look great on some frames. And I disagree with the notion that there is any correlation between working at a top-5 NY law firm and knowing how to dress well.

Thank you - this is exactly what I was thinking re: peak lapels. I am 5'9, 155, so I can pull the skinny look and peaks off fine. In fact, the jacket (38S) did not even need to be touched by my tailor, which was a first.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads