1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bachelor pad design... what would you do?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by TrojanGarb, Jul 21, 2009.

1. wetnose

wetnose Senior member

Since you're constrained by the space, you only need 3 basic items of furniture:

1) Loveseat/3 seater
    2) Red carpet
    3) Art

Loveseat/3 seater: Buy the most comfortable you can find. Don't rush - I sat on over 100+ couches before I found the right one. For me, I have to be able to stretch out and sleep on it. Don't bother with couches that convert to beds - they suck for comfort. I got mine off craigslist for $900 and it's worth every penny. Try to see if you can get one in microfibre as it really resists dirt very well. The ones that are mostly composed of pillows are the most comfortable, IMO.

Red/Burgundy carpet: there're actually really good deals on ebay if you look hard enough, and perhaps on craigslist too. Why red? It gives a warmth to the whole space and makes it cozier. Make sure it has a nice soft feel as you'll be barefoot (or possibly...ahem... rolling on it [​IMG] )

Art: what're your interests? Landscapes? People? Architecture? Sports? Women? Abstract? Spend some time on allposters.com and see what really grabs you. You can easily deck out those walls with nice art for less than $500, framed.

2. freshcutgrass

freshcutgrass Senior member

Generally...your level of pretentiousness.

An apartment is a type of dwelling...a condominium is a specific type of ownership. Most condominiums are apartments. People just think it sounds better when they refer to it as a condo. Kinda like how people refer to those useless security guards in condo lobbies as a "concierge".

Who cares what I'd do...your apartment should reflect your personal style.

3. jase12

jase12 Senior member

Generally...your level of pretentiousness.

An apartment is a type of dwelling...a condominium is a specific type of ownership. Most condominiums are apartments. People just think it sounds better when they refer to it as a condo. Kinda like how people refer to those useless security guards in condo lobbies as a "concierge".

Who cares what I'd do...your apartment should reflect your personal style.

haha ghey

4. TrojanGarb

TrojanGarb Senior member

Great stuff guys, keep it coming. Well I never knew carpet was such a death knell to taste [​IMG] , but I do see hard hardwood makes thinks look much better. I agree with the eclectic idea. I don't want or need everything to match perfectly together. What I do want is a "feeling" or a "mood" to go with the place... stuff that looks complementary. I really only need a comfy couch. A rug is no question. I'm also thinking i'd like to put a liquor cabinet and counter along the wall opposite the patio door. If I can get away with it I'd paint the wall away from the kitchen as an accent wall. Maybe brown for "lounge" or gray?/red? for modern. For wall art my first instinct is B&W vintage racing or aviation prints... just my thing This displays that red carpet idea pretty well: [​IMG]

5. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Don't stick to a style or aesthetic. Buy what you like and can afford. Mix and don't match. Will always be better IMO than any perfectly matched and designed interior.

Good point. I agree.

I also suggest the following:

Thank god you have a neutral color carpet. At least you have flexibility. And, you can still place a vintage Persian rug in areas for accent. My rug guy has a house full of museum quality pieces and the entire place is wall-to-wall carpet.

Don't scrimp on the lighting. You want quality adjustable lamps that have style . And, great lighting really sets a mood. I mix and match vintage, modern and contemporary ones throughout my house.

Get at least one iconic piece. For me it was a Le Corbusier chaise in tri color pony skin similar to this one. I wanted it since studying architecture in college. [​IMG]

Everyone wants to sit in it, it is comfortable and a bit like sculpture. But pick something that reflects your own personal style.

Get a really comfortable sofa. You will spend a lot of time on it. I have a large scale leather sofa made from very soft leather in a chestnut color.

Get a soft (preferably cashmere) throw. The girls will love you for it. You can always find them on sale.

6. Mauby

Mauby Senior member

Waiting room of plastic surgeon or divorce attorney?

That's what I was thinking when I saw that.

7. j

j Senior member Admin

Mid century modern != that first picture with the LC2s (1929 != mid century) etc. You can do a lot with teak, tweed, leather lounges that actually look (and are) comfy, etc. Yes carpet sucks but if you have no choice you can still make a good looking place there. I'm too tired to go into detail right now but yeah, you can have a cool looking, comfy place that doesn't look as cold as those "modern" examples shown in this thread. I wholeheartedly endorse the midcentury/eclectic style but not the clinical too-clean style shown in some of the pics here. I used to think those places looked awesome but I've come to appreciate the comfy.

8. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

^I agree w/ all of this. Baron has posted a pic or two of his place in WAYWRN. It's a great example of this look imo.

9. cunning47

cunning47 Senior member

Mid century modern != that first picture with the LC2s (1929 != mid century) etc. You can do a lot with teak, tweed, leather lounges that actually look (and are) comfy, etc. Yes carpet sucks but if you have no choice you can still make a good looking place there. I'm too tired to go into detail right now but yeah, you can have a cool looking, comfy place that doesn't look as cold as those "modern" examples shown in this thread. I wholeheartedly endorse the midcentury/eclectic style but not the clinical too-clean style shown in some of the pics here. I used to think those places looked awesome but I've come to appreciate the comfy.

I'd agree on the comfy element. Do you have any pictures or links that execute what you described?

10. Gotham

Gotham Senior member

<3 the modern look.

11. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

12. Gotham

Gotham Senior member

modern look but not the pic that you posted. i've been drooling over this recently sold co-op home designed by Gregory Ain (a fellow Trojan no less). maybe give you some design ideas. http://la.curbed.com/archives/2009/0...using_unit.php -Jeff
    Very nice. I love house pron

13. Mr.Pinchy

Mr.Pinchy Senior member

I'm in the exact same situation as OP. A 1-bedroom place with carpet all over. This is the generic photo from the place [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

modern look but not the pic that you posted.

i've been drooling over this recently sold co-op home designed by Gregory Ain (a fellow Trojan no less). maybe give you some design ideas.

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2009/0...using_unit.php

[​IMG]

-Jeff

Good space, but too much is going on in there for my tastes. I think a home should have the resposibility of clearing one's mind, and there's so much colorful clutter in there I'd go paranoid.

This is a loft that was in the NYTimes in the last year or so. 5,000 sq feet of awesomeness. I'd change the furniture and it would be perfect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. inq89

inq89 Senior member

^That would be my dream place. In my hometown, there are a couple of downtown warehouses that used to be a tobacco company that are being revitalized into office, retail, and home space. I'd love to grab one once I'm out of school. There's something beautiful and damn sexy about the bare aesthetics...bare red brick, hard wood floors, exposed beams, etc.

16. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

Yes. I agree. I think that one of the ironies in real estate is that people want to buy large homes to "have more space." And what do they immediately do? Fill the place up with stuff so the psychological effect of "more space" is minimized.

17. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

I love that loft space. I'd add a few more things just to suit my tastes, starting with sectioning off one corner with bookshelves to make a small study/library.

18. ginlimetonic

ginlimetonic Senior member

lol, you really need a grand piano in that loft.

19. cadillac37

cadillac37 Senior member

[​IMG]

Nice.

20. milosz

milosz Senior member

Carpet sucks, but it's less an obstacle to good design than beige apartment walls, IMO. Find out if you can repaint - even an accent wall here and there will make a big difference.

The worst thing about carpet (other than allergies, vacuuming, et al.) is that it makes a lot of furniture un-wieldly - single-post floor lamps and tall bookshelves get wobbly on thick nap+pad.