• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BA in Sociology... help meeee!!

MikeCamp

Reaction score
Ok, so this is my first post, I also did not think it would be about careers lol. Anyway, I just graduated college with my BA in Sociology, and I am having trouble finding a job. I am enrolled in my MA for sociology as well, but it is part time, so i have plenty of time for a full time job. I have plenty of volunteer experience and also work experience. I worked for a valet company for almost 5 years (all through college) and now i am the operations manager. I live about 10 minutes from NYC so i know the opportunity is there i just need to be pointed in the right direction. Anyone in this field and can offer some sound advice ?? thanks a lot and i appreciate it.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sociology isn't a field. What career path are you trying to take?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Spoke from experience.
I just ate a pork chop and scallion potatoes. I look down on the unwashed masses.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a BA in Soci and I eat Delissios. There is hope, my friend.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
*sigh*

OK the OP is new, so he will be spared my wrath on the topic, and it's nice to see that Conne may have eventually listened to the voices of the employers and the employed among us, but we semi-regularly see people like this around here in their early college years saying they are going to major in [insert liberal arts/social sciences/humanities discipline here] because "it really interests me" and At Careers Night The Nice Man In The Brown Jacket With The Patches Told Us That Employers Want People Who Can Think Critically And I'm Good At That Cos I Wrote A Book Review On King Lear And Know That Pride Was His Fatal Flaw.

Then we go through the cycles of 'I know a guy with a degree in theology and now he's the hottest lawyer in the world' and of course we never go through the forty five of his classmates now wondering what to do with their lives, or else pondering grad school to hide out from the real world for a few more years.

Then we go through the cycles of "your degree and education should be more than just job training" and so on. Which is nice and all, but probably less useful to the OP at this point than if he had treated it as job training and gone and read some sociology stuff a few years on from the comfort of the apartment that he would then be able to afford.

Anyhow, no real advice for the OP, sorry to hear you are finding the job market harder than you anticipated when you declared your major (presumably because "it's interesting" - which it is), but ya, maybe grad school in something very very practical (as opposed to a masters in something that is already proving itself useless) is your best bet.

caxt

Reaction score
From your short situation description here are some things I noticed (may or may not be right.)

1-You want a higher paying job then your current employment. (duh.)
2-You would like to use your college degree to leverage this.
3-You could care less whether this career jump involves the practice of sociology. (A guess.)

4-I really hope you have some great job prospects when you get the graduate degree in a jobless undergrad field.

Assuming the above are somewhat accurate; you may want to consider a change in approach.

Consider changing your outlook which probably looked something like this previously

Undergrad  Grad School  Super Fun Job $$$$$

You have completed step one. Moving onward in the original plan seems illogical in the current economy. To succeed you need to act innovatively in products or methods, AND/OR make yourself more marketable (which grad school in theory does, but in actuality probably will not.)

Some examples of product/method innovation options:
What have successful sociologists done in the past which you can modify/adapt/improve upon? Self help books, motivational tapes, foreign correspondent, or forming a political action committee - your wealth of options is an advantage, not a limiting factor to your future wealth.

Marketable skills:
Languages, Writing, Communication, Human Resources, write a book explaining your sociological theories.

Try to think outside the box in your approaches:
Does the oil industry need an expert sociologist? How about to manage population growth effects and reactions to petroleum drilling by native populations? Perhaps in Africa or other 3rd world/ unstable areas - Create your own professional position, and market it to businesses showing them why they need you.

(This **** was really hard to think of because sociology is about as useless as underwater basket weaving.) -But basically fake it till you make it.

Another Viewpoint: You have your whole life to **** up and still pick up the pieces -the valet job will be there as a fall back if you need it.

Exceptions so you should completely ignore this:
1. Great job prospects/connections
2. Rich Parents
3. Knowing you have a love of the field of Academic Sociology

If all else fails take the LSAT and pray.

level32

Reaction score
Figure out what real marketable skills are.

If you have none, get some. Do some self study or get some certificates.

Try to find an internship if you're desperate to get your foot in the door.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a BA in Soc. Very solid grades, and ran my own tutoring service while in University, having 3 employees and earning enough to keep my student loans super low. Excellent references, skill in organizing and administration (ran a sports team, and part of a league.... never do that again...) Still can't find a decent job......

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol. Seriously. lol. Did you ever have a plan, or did you just assume there was a huge market for sociology majors fresh out of college? Why are 18-22 year-olds so dumb?

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally had a plan, and it's still on going. The economy was good going into university, I'd assumed it'd still be decent by the time I left. Obviously I was mistaken, and the jobs just aren't there. It has added an extra year or so to my pursuit for an MBA.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I mean what jobs are you seriously looking for graduating with a sociology degree? Even if the job market was good it still would be a problem.

I can understand going to Harvard or any other top ivy with a soft major and killing it; top employers still look for people who werent econ/finance. But if you went to state you better pray you took a harder major.

imschatz

Reaction score
I always love the sociologists .. they can have some brilliant idea's, but no practical understanding of how to implement them besides "print money".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics