1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

BA in Sociology... help meeee!!

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by MikeCamp, Feb 9, 2011.

1. olualbert

olualbert Senior member

Is Ok to have your first degree in Sociology but I dont think is a smart idea to wonna do a graduate study in this field. My advice is for you to divert your graduate school into Public Health and you can use your sociological underpinnings to really make a difference. Try specializing in social epidemiology of disease and illness with an emphasis in International health. If you graduate in the upper 5 percentile of your class, I can garantee you that the National institute of health(NIH) will pay your way to do your PhD in health economics, International Health, Epidemiology or Biostatistics. If you take this route, it will be the smartest decision of your life. I have a MPH degree in International Health and Im currently stationed in Riyadh. When I come back to the states, I will be doing my doctoral work in health economics with emphasizes in policy implementation.....is how you enhance yourself with what you've got. Research....research..and you will never go wrong. Like previously said by the other authors, learn to write effectively, polish your writing skills and you can make a lot of money....my 2 cent..good luck!

2. rjakapeanut

rjakapeanut Senior member

rjakapeanut aren't you a law student lol

si senor

3. Teger

Teger Senior member

si senor
    perhaps you should slow your roll on pointing out unemployability/mocking people for pursuing worthless degrees

4. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

si senor
    Aren't you in undergrad? To the OP: I would consider picking up some other skill on the side like programming. I've known people with English degrees that ended up getting decent jobs in comp sci. without having a formal degree in it simply by focusing on one type. You could even take programming classes during your sociology MA. It doesn't have to be programming per se, but you're at crunch time now and better pick a very pragmatic path. A suggestion like olualbert's is also a good one. The point is that you better leverage your undergrad into a useful degree or acquire another skill set or you might have a hard time finding a decent job.

5. rjakapeanut

perhaps you should slow your roll on pointing out unemployability/mocking people for pursuing worthless degrees

i don't really think that makes any sense. besides it's a forgone conclusion that i'm the david boies of my generation.

Aren't you in undergrad?

To the OP: I would consider picking up some other skill on the side like programming. I've known people with English degrees that ended up getting decent jobs in comp sci. without having a formal degree in it simply by focusing on one type. You could even take programming classes during your sociology MA. It doesn't have to be programming per se, but you're at crunch time now and better pick a very pragmatic path.

A suggestion like olualbert's is also a good one. The point is that you better leverage your undergrad into a useful degree or acquire another skill set or you might have a hard time finding a decent job.

i am in undergrad

6. Teger

Teger Senior member

haha what you're not even a law student yet?

7. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

OJFC. I don't get how people identify as pre-law (much less law) or pre-med after taking a class in macroeconomics or general chemistry. FWIW though, I'm a pre-billionaire.

8. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Did any of you Soci majors like your methods class? I skipped the field study and did an interview instead.

9. L.R.

L.R. Senior member

Actually, Research Methods and Statistics was one of my favourite classes. I had forgotten how much fun (yes, fun...) math could be. It was nice to get an answer that people couldn't debate haha. It kind of made me wish I had stuck with math.

10. Neo_Version 7

Actually, Research Methods and Statistics was one of my favourite classes. I had forgotten how much fun (yes, fun...) math could be. It was nice to get an answer that people couldn't debate haha. It kind of made me wish I had stuck with math.

Stats was off the chain. Research Methods was so-so. What fun soci classes did you take?

11. L.R.

L.R. Senior member

Stats was off the chain. Research Methods was so-so. What fun soci classes did you take?

Probably Deviance and Social control. Obviously it was an low-level unspecialized course, but the material was extremely varied and fun. Everything murder, to homosexuality in media, to tattooing.

Least favourite would have to be Qualitative Research Methods and Studies. Truly boring, and by the time I took it, I had already written a dozen papers using these methods, just redundant. What about you, any classes that stood out?

12. Neo_Version 7

Probably Deviance and Social control. Obviously it was an low-level unspecialized course, but the material was extremely varied and fun. Everything murder, to homosexuality in media, to tattooing. Least favourite would have to be Qualitative Research Methods and Studies. Truly boring, and by the time I took it, I had already written a dozen papers using these methods, just redundant. What about you, any classes that stood out?
    Those classes sound quite interesting. If I can be honest though, I'm a big fan of qualitative everything. I mean, don't get me wrong. There's a place for quantitative methods and stats was a big favourite of mine but I'd still choose a qualitative approach 8 times out of 10. My all time favourite will always be Intro to Sociology. Just a great course through and through. Tackled all the basics and I personally believed it could be enjoyed by everyone. Liked: - Selected Topics in Sociology (Youth Culture) = Really fun learning about the mods, punk rock, ravers, etc. - Sociology of Occupations = I find Marx, Webber, and all things alienation to be cool too. - Sociology of the Media = Semiotics ftw. Kind of In The Middie: - Classical Theory = It was interesting for the most part. I'll openly admit that some concepts were just too complex for me to grasp. - Social Problems = Overview of racism, prejudices, etc. which seemed a bit redundant coming off of Intro. - Research Methods = Mixed bag. It was a year long course so fatigue set in sometime around January. Not a Big Fan: - Juvenile Delinquency = Criminology related stuff just isn't my cup of tea but I'll admit it had some intriguing stuff to it.

13. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Neo, do you find that your degree prepared you well for your career at Arby's?

14. Neo_Version 7

Ew. I'd never step foot in an Arby's. I'd sooner work at Nickels than at that dump.

15. rjakapeanut

haha what you're not even a law student yet?

not just yet playa

OJFC. I don't get how people identify as pre-law (much less law) or pre-med after taking a class in macroeconomics or general chemistry. FWIW though, I'm a pre-billionaire.

i'm a prodigy though.

don't get trolled too much guys

16. IUtoSLU

IUtoSLU Senior member

rjakapeanut aren't you a law student lol

si senor

He is actually an undergrad who wants to be a law student. Sooo.... it is worst-case-scenario.

17. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

i'm a prodigy though.

I have no doubt about that. [​IMG]

18. Matt

Matt Senior member

semi-related side note...

As per my own post earlier, I basically advocate doing something useful with your university years, and saving your general interest stuff for later use. I am generally interested in sociology...any good introductory texts I should read on the topic? More like first year level, For Dummies, Idiot's Guide basic and broad brush stuff to begin with...if anything piques my interest particularly from there, I can always look deeper into the reference list as need be.

19. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

semi-related side note...

As per my own post earlier, I basically advocate doing something useful with your university years, and saving your general interest stuff for later use. I am generally interested in sociology...any good introductory texts I should read on the topic? More like first year level, For Dummies, Idiot's Guide basic and broad brush stuff to begin with...if anything piques my interest particularly from there, I can always look deeper into the reference list as need be.

I've seen the text "You May Ask Yourself" by Dalton Conley creeping up more and more. Having no experience on it, I can't tell you its usefulness..

20. thewolf_

thewolf_ New Member

I've also never posted before, but I figured why not start off with a few words of wisdom.

First, there are a few suggestions that have already been mentioned which are great ideas.

For one, learning some computer programming skills in your free time, great idea. Also, learning how to sell is a great way to get your foot in the door with a company. Foreign languages (depending on where you live) can really help you outshine the competition.

You mentioned that you're going back to graduate school, which is a great idea, however, you also said that your going back for... more sociology. Does this make sense to you? "I can't find a job with my BA in sociology, so I'm going to get my MA in sociology," your logic seems to be a bit off here. Why not go back for something more marketable... perhaps a MBA, or speech pathology; I'm just tossing ideas out here you can pick something that you're interested in.

Perhaps the most important thing you can do, which hasn't really been mentioned, would be MAKE CONNECTIONS. Abuse your social network, make friends while getting your MA that seem to know their shit. Talk to mommy and daddy and see if they have any friends in companies that may be able to help you get your foot in the door.

My BA is in sociology, don't listen to the assholes who just like to tell you that you got a worthless degree, this is completely untrue. I'm currently a project manager for an awesome company and I'm considering going back to grad school for my MBA. You will, however, be forced to spin your degree a bit more than say someone with an engineering degree in order to make it work for you. Get creative, make sure your resume is awesome and go to as many interviews as you can, practice makes perfect. You should be applying to at least 5-10 jobs a day. Getting a job IS a full time job, treat it as such and you will be successful. Also, pester the fuck out of employers, show them that you WANT a job, more so than your competition (if they tell you to lay off, it probably wasn't going to happen anyway)

Hope some of this helps. Good luck, it is rough out there, but it's not impossible to find a decent job.