• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

B&W Society of Sound - any other subscribers?

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2008
Messages
2,004
Reaction score
47
Has anyone else here bought a subscription to the Bowers and Wilkins 'Society of Sound' music download service? I uhmed and ahhed for a bit and took the plunge yesterday.. and find myself rather pleased with it.

The catalogue if far from extensive, but there are some very good (many specially made) recordings and you come across interesting things you otherwise wouldn't have. Every month 2 new recordings are added. The decisive factor for me was that everything is lossless format - it even will add items automatically to the iTunes library upon download, ready to be synced onto my music server.


Curious what the other music/audio enthusiasts here think of the service?
 

mljones99

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2007
Messages
243
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by 0b5cur1ty
Has anyone else here bought a subscription to the Bowers and Wilkins 'Society of Sound' music download service? I uhmed and ahhed for a bit and took the plunge yesterday.. and find myself rather pleased with it.

The catalogue if far from extensive, but there are some very good (many specially made) recordings and you come across interesting things you otherwise wouldn't have. Every month 2 new recordings are added. The decisive factor for me was that everything is lossless format - it even will add items automatically to the iTunes library upon download, ready to be synced onto my music server.


Curious what the other music/audio enthusiasts here think of the service?




I've heard about this and sounds pretty cool. Can you give some some example of what albums they have?
 

celeste_pista

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2009
Messages
445
Reaction score
6
can you play what you've downloaded after your subscription lapses?
 

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2008
Messages
2,004
Reaction score
47
Oops, missed these replies...

Originally Posted by mljones99
I've heard about this and sounds pretty cool. Can you give some some example of what albums they have?
They have a collaboration going with Peter Gabriel's recording studio and the London Symphony Orchestra, the latter of which means they have a few very nice recordings of classical greats (Mozart and Verdi Requiems, the Messiah etc.). The former results in a wide variety of stuff, with a fair bit of jazz, blues etc.

Originally Posted by celeste_pista
can you play what you've downloaded after your subscription lapses?
Yep. It's yours for keeps.
 

londonchris

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2011
Messages
64
Reaction score
0
I downloaded some of the free stuff before Christmas when I upgraded my B&W setup and looking through the catalog again now there's actually some pretty cool stuff in there - I think I may well take the plunge too.... I don't know about you guys but since getting into 'listening' more seriously my musical tastes have diversified even further, and now I can enjoy listening to pretty much anything that's well produced? I guess that's what attracted me to the Society of Sound in the first place...
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 16 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 74 16.6%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 146 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 75 16.8%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 37 8.3%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 26 5.8%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 16 3.6%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 9 2.0%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 13 2.9%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 4 0.9%
  • 100+

    Votes: 27 6.1%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,540
Messages
9,199,987
Members
193,222
Latest member
xytdantar

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top