• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B-School Interviews - Help Me Decide What to Wear (pics and poll)

Telefonica

Reaction score
I have interviews at Tuck and HBS and I'm having trouble deciding what to wear. I'd like to hear everyone's input. I've narrowed it down to the following, but am open to suggestions. Option 1: Navy blue Pal Zileri, white and blue stripe tie, white ps
img0450ho.jpg
Option 2: Navy blue E. Zegna with pinstripe, DB, red tie and ps. The POWER look!
smile.gif
img0462.jpg
img0457nj.jpg
Option 3: Navy blue Armani Black Label, purple and blue patterned tie and ps.
img0467a.jpg
img0469lm.jpg
Option 4: Navy blue Oxxford, contrast blue/white shirt, gold tie, white ps.
img0472r.jpg
img0473sx.jpg
Just for fun, I threw in a couple others that I was thinking of:
img0453bi.jpg
img0445e.jpg
I'll also be wearing some Kent Wang 100% wool socks, sonlegoman cufflinks and black Allen Edmonds Park Avenues. Thanks!

Jl24

Reaction score
I vote for the #3, I think that blazer + shirt looks professional. The #4 blazer also works although I'm not sure I'd pair it with the BB french cuff shirt + yellow tie - I think it tries a bit too hard. All IMHO

Good luck on your interviews! What's your background?

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In too many of these photos you look like you're trying to be Patrick Bateman. #1 is the best of these, but some recommendations:
  • darker tie - like a navy or burgundy repp stripe
  • lose the french cuffs. Too many Americans see it as an affectation or associate it older guy who've earned it. Yeah, it's silly, but not worth risking.
  • other may tell you to lose the PS. I say you can get away with a while TV fold, but nothing else.
You want to look sharp, but not stick out. Remember that B school folks are not generally sartorially inclined as it is.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, lose the windsor knot. Tie a FIH instead.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the Oxxford suit but none of the shirt and tie combos. I suggest a white shirt + a darker rep tie instead.

And get a hair cut to give it layers.

Good luck with the interview.

Fourier

Reaction score
I’m surprised that no one has commented on the matching of ties and pocket squares. Especially in red, it just doesn't look right.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
No DB suit, no contrasting collar shirt and PS! Play it safe man.

#1 is best.

divitius

Reaction score
#1 or #3. The tie in #1 looks a bit too narrow for those lapels though, and the matching ps in #3 is kinda awful.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
#1 is the way to go,I would ditch the pocket square though.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnsNotHere
No 1 Lose the pocket square
both of these it's an interview not a contest

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any would be fine - your clothes are not being iunterviewed.

Concentrate on the interview not your clothes.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fourier
I'm surprised that no one has commented on the matching of ties and pocket squares. Especially in red, it just doesn't look right.

Agreed. Please don't wear a matching tie and pocket-square, ever.

jb_1977

Reaction score
Go with #1. Lose the pocket square and french cuffs. Tone down the tie.

I'm a noob to style forums, but I know a lot about b-schools and recruiting and interviewing in that universe. Once you get accepted, you're going to start networking and recruiting right away. You'll join professional clubs aligned with your chosen career path (I'll assume banking
smile.gif
). One of the first things those clubs will address is attire, followed by etiquette.

In general, interviewers in finance and banking are easily annoyed and distracted by arbitrary idiosnycrasies. Your goal is to eliminate the possibility of these things, then convince them that you can do the work.

I think your suits look well tailored and could work in other situations. But if you went to a networking event or interview wearing any of them, there's a good chance you'd get dinged for pretension.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads