• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B-School interview suit

dapperbos

Reaction score
Hi there. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm 26, white male. Looking to buy a quality suit for an important interview coming up. Is this suit from Brooks Brothers appropriate? I don't have a solid suit, but this one is on sale which is why I'm attracted to it.

Would you recommend getting a lesser quality solid suit or this higher quality striped suit on sale? My concern is that it's got pinstripes, and I've heard those can be distracting. However, these stripes are quite subtle. Curious others' perspectives and advice.

https://www.brooksbrothers.com/Fitzgerald-Fit-Golden-Fleece®-Suit/MK00151,default,pd.html

Any thoughts on gray vs. navy?

MK00150_NAVY.jpg

MK00151_GREY.jpg

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What field do you expect to end up in? If you are going to be wearing suits, in some fields you might not want to be in pinstripes of any form as an associate.

Stripes really limit the utility - I get away with just 2 suits, charcoal and navy solid, when I spend a week in Japan for work, bringing along 5 ties and a half dozen shirts.

Aristogeiton96

Reaction score
What field do you expect to end up in? If you are going to be wearing suits, in some fields you might not want to be in pinstripes of any form as an associate.

Stripes really limit the utility - I get away with just 2 suits, charcoal and navy solid, when I spend a week in Japan for work, bringing along 5 ties and a half dozen shirts.
I'm in agreeance w/ the above, charcoal and/or navy solid are the way to go. The flexibility of the two are unparalleled, especially if you're going to keep them into rotation pretty heavily w/networking events and into your summer analyst/associate positions.

robxznyc

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Don't worry too much about the suit. If you're a strong candidate admissions could care less about the color and pattern of your suit.

That said, since you don't have a solid suit I suggest that you buy a solid mid grey or navy suit not only for your b-school interviews, but also for networking events and job interviews during b-school. Go for light/medium weight wool so that you can wear it all year round.

Last edited:

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a first suit - I suggest Navy or Charcoal. They work for weddings/funerals/interviews and can be dressed up/down. If you don't have to wear suits for your profession (and fewere and fewer people do) having several suits is a waste of money. (yes, on this site you have people that are the .5% that like to wear suits as often as possible - but don't let that skew your decision). If you want or need more suits as you go, great. But a Navy or charcoal suit is never going to go out of style. Just not pinstripes. That just isn't versatile enough for a first suit.

I'd also caution against spending a boatload of cash on a suit. You're 26. In 5-6 years the suit you buy now might not fit properly. And, if you've only worn it 8 times to various weddings/funerals and a couple interviews it's not a smart way (IMO) to spend your money. For those 8 times, a suit that is well tailored from some less expensive options can still look great. And, in my experience, there is nothing special about Brooks Brothers tailoring even if I like their suits. Quality suits show their worth over time - a fully canvased suit molds to your body, the materials hold up and look great after 50 wears where lesser suits start to show their age. But, for a dozen wearing - a less expensive suit will look just as nice on you as long as it is well tailored.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads