• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

B-School interview suit

dapperbos

Reaction score
Hi there. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm 26, white male. Looking to buy a quality suit for an important interview coming up. Is this suit from Brooks Brothers appropriate? I don't have a solid suit, but this one is on sale which is why I'm attracted to it.

Would you recommend getting a lesser quality solid suit or this higher quality striped suit on sale? My concern is that it's got pinstripes, and I've heard those can be distracting. However, these stripes are quite subtle. Curious others' perspectives and advice.

https://www.brooksbrothers.com/Fitzgerald-Fit-Golden-Fleece®-Suit/MK00151,default,pd.html

Any thoughts on gray vs. navy?

MK00150_NAVY.jpg

MK00151_GREY.jpg

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What field do you expect to end up in? If you are going to be wearing suits, in some fields you might not want to be in pinstripes of any form as an associate.

Stripes really limit the utility - I get away with just 2 suits, charcoal and navy solid, when I spend a week in Japan for work, bringing along 5 ties and a half dozen shirts.

Aristogeiton96

Reaction score
What field do you expect to end up in? If you are going to be wearing suits, in some fields you might not want to be in pinstripes of any form as an associate.

Stripes really limit the utility - I get away with just 2 suits, charcoal and navy solid, when I spend a week in Japan for work, bringing along 5 ties and a half dozen shirts.
I'm in agreeance w/ the above, charcoal and/or navy solid are the way to go. The flexibility of the two are unparalleled, especially if you're going to keep them into rotation pretty heavily w/networking events and into your summer analyst/associate positions.

robxznyc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't worry too much about the suit. If you're a strong candidate admissions could care less about the color and pattern of your suit.

That said, since you don't have a solid suit I suggest that you buy a solid mid grey or navy suit not only for your b-school interviews, but also for networking events and job interviews during b-school. Go for light/medium weight wool so that you can wear it all year round.

Last edited:

johng70

Reaction score
For a first suit - I suggest Navy or Charcoal. They work for weddings/funerals/interviews and can be dressed up/down. If you don't have to wear suits for your profession (and fewere and fewer people do) having several suits is a waste of money. (yes, on this site you have people that are the .5% that like to wear suits as often as possible - but don't let that skew your decision). If you want or need more suits as you go, great. But a Navy or charcoal suit is never going to go out of style. Just not pinstripes. That just isn't versatile enough for a first suit.

I'd also caution against spending a boatload of cash on a suit. You're 26. In 5-6 years the suit you buy now might not fit properly. And, if you've only worn it 8 times to various weddings/funerals and a couple interviews it's not a smart way (IMO) to spend your money. For those 8 times, a suit that is well tailored from some less expensive options can still look great. And, in my experience, there is nothing special about Brooks Brothers tailoring even if I like their suits. Quality suits show their worth over time - a fully canvased suit molds to your body, the materials hold up and look great after 50 wears where lesser suits start to show their age. But, for a dozen wearing - a less expensive suit will look just as nice on you as long as it is well tailored.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How did Covid-19 impact your personal style?

• My style hasn't changed at all.

• My wardrobe hasn't changed but I am wearing casual clothes more often.

• I invested in new good quality leisure and casual clothes.

• I invested in new sartorial clothes taking advantage of the sales.

• I purged my closet during quarantine and I have nothing left to wear.

Results are only viewable after voting.