B&S Etiquette: Buyers not making offers but instead asking what your lowest price is

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by stylenewbie, Jun 27, 2013.

1. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Were it me, I would state parameters in my ad.
    Example:
    (with photos)
    1 pr USED (or Pre-owned) Allen Edmonds Park Avenue in Black Calf Leather 10D
    $100 (Shipping included) This is the FINAL price.
    NOTE: Lowballers will be ignored, and placed on my Ignore list for 6 months.

Before setting your expected price, make sure to have done your homework beforehand as to what would be reasonable. If you are not selling quickly, it either means your price is too high or your timing is wrong.
    Anyway, these are my thoughts on the matter. Happy buying & selling.

2. stylenewbie

stylenewbie Senior member

Seems like my potential buyer may have outed me for having a second profile (used it to keep my seller profile a separate entity, I guess I didn't read the rules carefully when I joined back in '09). The mods have been stand up gentlemen about the issue, but I must bid adieu.

3. spidercan

spidercan Senior member

Is this how styleforum is now? I didn't sell anything for about a year. Just posted a few things about a month ago and all my offers have been asking "how low can you go?".

4. Mute

Mute Senior member

Response, "how high can you go? Don't expect a response if I don't like the answer."

5. theyare

theyare Senior member

I have found the best reply is to just put it back to them with "I am always open to reasonable offers".

6. Garasaki

Garasaki Senior member

I'm only going to say, that as a buyer, if I'm really interested in purchasing your items and have cash on hand, I will offer a number.

If I'm fishing for a good deal on a maybe item or something I don't have the money for today, I beat around the bush with something like "whats your lowest price".

So if I'm looking to buy something, I'm mostly wasting our time if I ask something like "whats your lowest price?". I'm not really going to buy it. But that's just me....

I try to catch myself beforehand on stuff like that, but occasionally one of those still slips out.

7. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Basically= if you don't bid, you can't buy. A bid can be negotiated, a non bid can't.

8. borbor

borbor Senior member

i get asked "what is your best price" a lot when i sell my stuff online. Usually I just tell them, the price I listed is the best price for me. You have to tell me what the best price for you is.

9. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

You're obviously a shxtty negotiator because you fell for the oldest trick in the book. It's like recruiters asking about your salary history and expectations. Don't blame them for checking to see if they're dealing with a sucker. Just stop being a sucker.

10. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

lol....You started the thread, but the buyer got the last laugh...excellent [​IMG]

11. spidercan

spidercan Senior member

Wow I don't remember seeing people like this before. 1, 600 posts in 10 months...no wonder he's unhappy with his life :/

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013

12. spidercan

spidercan Senior member

Mods: Is stupidity ban worthy?

13. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

They let you sign up, so...question answered.

14. spidercan

spidercan Senior member

Umm I feel like it's obvious, but since it seems you don't understand such matters, a person can only be banned AFTER he signs up. In other words, he needs to sign up first, then post annoying responses, and only then can the mods ban him. Nice try though.

Hopefully that was helpful towards your understanding of the internet.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013

15. spidercan

spidercan Senior member

It's funny. All the people who asked me for my lowest price stopped responding as soon as I said I'd only listen to offers.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013