B&S Buyer wants to return something... Aren't NO returns an unwritten rule of B&S?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by allaboutshoes, Sep 19, 2011.

1. allaboutshoes

allaboutshoes Senior member

I have a sales thread in which I sell Allen Edmonds at a high discount here on SF. Yes, given I do make money, but im mostly providing a service for SF members in which I can get them discounted. The price itself is cheap enough to justify no returns, and now a buyer (n00b) wants to return a pair of shoes. Should I accept the return? He also wasnt a regular size (8E) so it wouldn't be easy for me to resell it.

2. GHo

GHo Senior member

tough call. almost like those fockers on ebay who complain about a coat not fitting and want to send it back from overseas (and expect you to eat the shipping)... :embar:

it'll probably earn you some fashion karma if you do, though.

3. NORE

NORE Senior member

If you clearly stated that this would be a final transaction before money changed hands I would say you shouldn't accept the return. If nothing was said regarding returns you should go ahead and accept it and rethink your strategy for future sales.

4. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

I always assumed at B&S sales were final. In fact, I have bought multiple items from B&S before that didn't work out and I ended up flipping them on my own (i.e. put them on eBay, cosign them, etc). I agree with NORE that you should put a disclaimer in your placements, but I also think no returns is in the true spirit of B&S.

5. allaboutshoes

I already did. If I wanted to accept returns, I could just sell on eBay. We are all big boys here.

6. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

Why does he want to return the shoes?

7. holmes

holmes Member

Unwritten rules are worth the paper they are written on...what I would do in your position is accept the return, charge a 15% 'restocking' fee and move on.

If he complains about that, then tell him you were accepting the shoes back as a sign of good faith, which he clearly is lacking and now the offer is off the table; the shoes are now no longer returnable.

You've updated your post to clearly state there are no returns, which will cover you going forward. The first rule of selling, even with the big boys, is to eliminate 'wiggle room'; you've now done that.

Good luck.

8. Icehawk

Icehawk Senior member

I'd agree that the in general B&S is "no returns" however that wouldn't preclude me from at least asking, if something didn't work out for me, if it was returnable. Definitely a good idea to spell it out though.

9. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

If there was something defective about the shoes then it might be reasonable to expect to be able to return them, but in this case I'd say you're well within your rights to refuse. It is not your fault that he bought shoes that are the wrong size.

10. allaboutshoes

No nothing defective about the shoes. Just his concept of "Brown Burnished" and Allen Edmonds are 2 different things. He could have just looked them up online and avoided this whole problem

11. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

The only relevant q here is did he pay by paypal ? If so, you have zero options

12. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

typical buyer nonsense, seen even on Styleforum.

Don't assume that because you are selling to a forumite that there is some sort of gentlemanly agreement. THEY DO NOT EXIST.

Trust them about as far as you can throw them.

Big reason I've stopped selling some very nice stuff. Can't trust these F*ckers. :fu:

13. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

if he's bitching about hte color...no way would i let him return them. I suppose allowing him to return for a restocking fee would probably be your best move in the long run. But personally, i doubt i would. sounds like buyers remorse to me. And for that you are not responsible.