• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B&S Advice!

chestercopperpot

Reaction score
Hey All, Recently I sold a suit to a sf member here. No big deal, had to send it to Australia. Mailed and packaged it the way I usually do. I sent it out Oct 5th (which means it got mailed on the 6th). Next thing you know I'm getting emails asking where it is. I wasn't that worried at first, eh it takes time and usually it takes around 2-3 weeks to send things to Australia. I work for a small record label and we use this lovely Pitney Bowes machine that weighs it, tags and even helps you with customs form! So I figured, well I couldn't have had any error on it. Not true, I did make the mistake of not paying for a tracking number so that was a huge pain **********. But, I wasn't that worried as literally dozens of packages go out internationally and very very rarely do they come back. The emails from the buyer continue, saying he hasn't received it so he reverses the paypal transaction! Oh ****, now I'm out $600 + dollars and my suit! WTF! It's okay stay cool as he said "look as soon as it arrives just trust that I will reimburse you." Hmmm...okay. So now it still hasn't arrived and paypal didn't approve of his claim so I got my money back. But what do I do? I'm not a bad person here and I've been a forum member for years. I'm not trying to screw anyone over. Am I just supposed to trust him and say "Oh you never got it? Hmm what a bummer here's your money back." and now be out of my suit!? Or what? Advice anyone?
facepalm.gif

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chestercopperpot
Hey All,

Recently I sold a suit to a sf member here. No big deal, had to send it to Australia. Mailed and packaged it the way I usually do.

I sent it out Oct 5th (which means it got mailed on the 6th). Next thing you know I'm getting emails asking where it is. I wasn't that worried at first, eh it takes time and usually it takes around 2-3 weeks to send things to Australia. I work for a small record label and we use this lovely Pitney Bowes machine that weighs it, tags and even helps you with customs form!

So I figured, well I couldn't have had any error on it. Not true, I did make the mistake of not paying for a tracking number so that was a huge pain **********. But, I wasn't that worried as literally dozens of packages go out internationally and very very rarely do they come back.

The emails from the buyer continue, saying he hasn't received it so he reverses the paypal transaction!

Oh ****, now I'm out $600 + dollars and my suit! WTF! It's okay stay cool as he said "look as soon as it arrives just trust that I will reimburse you."

Hmmm...okay. So now it still hasn't arrived and paypal didn't approve of his claim so I got my money back.

But what do I do? I'm not a bad person here and I've been a forum member for years. I'm not trying to screw anyone over. Am I just supposed to trust him and say "Oh you never got it? Hmm what a bummer here's your money back." and now be out of my suit!? Or what?

Advice anyone?
facepalm.gif

Nothing you can do man...no tracking, no case. Whether or not you reimburse him is up to you, but I'd say the fault is squarely on your shoulders.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am actually surprised paypal rejected his claim even though you dont have a tracking number

chestercopperpot

Reaction score
I just don't know if i'm being thrown under the bus. I'm so frustrated right now.

chestercopperpot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
I am actually surprised paypal rejected his claim even though you dont have a tracking number

Well I think the biggest issue with that is the fact a proper invoice was never made. He just sent me money. Usually I create an invoice so I can be sure I'm shipping to a "confirmed" address. I just got the address through a PM.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just don't know if i'm being thrown under the bus. I'm so frustrated right now.

From the buyers point of view he paid you 600 USD, you didnt ship it and he got swindled.

chestercopperpot

Reaction score
If I knew this was going to happen I just never would've sold it abroad. Has this kind of crap happened to anyone else?

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I knew this was going to happen I just never would've sold it abroad. Has this kind of crap happened to anyone else?

Yes, but much less drastic. Sold a tie on eBay, shipped first class mail (no tracking, obviously). Buyer said he never received it -- the buyer had plenty of feedback, so I doubt he was swindling me. Refunded him $21.00 or whatever.

The problem on B&S is that a lot of the people that buy are obscure lurkers, so there's really no way to gauge their trustworthiness.

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah. Sent something first class to the UK and lost the paypal dispute. After that, you learn to use priority or express with tracking. If you can show that it left the country it's not your fault.

talkhot

Reaction score
I don't really have any advise. But I'd like to say international shipping can take quite a while. Usually I'll have to wait about 14 days for an international shipping from the US. Sometimes it will take up until 3 weeks. I've read stories about people waiting even longer. Last time I bought some shoes on b&s they where overseas within 5 days, into customs where they spend another 6 days! before they where released. So maybe it can take a while. Maybe its worth to wait just another week to be sure they didn't(or did) arrive. I live in Holland (Europe).

agoldf

Reaction score
DO you have the customs form receipt/onion skin?

JonathanHemlock

Reaction score
IMHO, the buyer tweaked too soon. Wait a couple weeks, then repost for more advice.

trader

Reaction score
its only been 19 days... what a whiner. i just received a package this week from hawaii and i ordered in september. things can take time, especially when they get stuck in customs. ive waited +1 month for plenty of items from the US to canada. buyer needs to chill

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The buyer should definitely calm down. It once took 2 months for a package to get to me from London. Things get stuck in customs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads