• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B.Nelson does a great job

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since I approve of feedback on vendors both good and bad, I'd like to take a moment to praise the work that B.Nelson did for me on 3 pairs of GY welted shoes. All three had flush metal toe plates installed and the work was fantastic. The plates were cleanly installed, no errant screws LOL
biggrin.gif
and the edges dressed nicely.

Nick was kind enough to walk me through the process and answered all my questions.

I've sent two more pairs to him because of how satisfied I am.

Thanks Nick for the great work, and I can wholeheartedly recommend B.Nelson.

glowell222

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, and can you post some pics of their work?

changy

Reaction score
I've seen JM Weston sales reps there to get customer's shoes topy'ed

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yup, nick was telling me they provide a lot of services for manufacturers.

Harper

Reaction score
Since you brought it up - I brought in 2 "newer" pair of shoes around a month ago as my gait really destroys the toe section of my soles and had him put in metal toe taps and Nick talked me into adding toppys. I walk alot in the city (3 miles yesterday) - and wanted to wait to see how everything perfomed before making any comments - but I am more than satisfied and will definitely be bringing in additional pairs as well.

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have another air of vintage EGs on the 201 last that I'm going to take over to B. Nelson's next week for re-soling.

See my other thread on another pair of EGs on the 201 that I sent back to EG. Those will be back late June at the earliest - I assume these will be done in 2 weeks tops.

It will be interesting to compare the re-soling work. . .

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Harper
Since you brought it up - I brought in 2 "newer" pair of shoes around a month ago as my gait really destroys the toe section of my soles and had him put in metal toe taps and Nick talked me into adding toppys. I walk alot in the city (3 miles yesterday) - and wanted to wait to see how everything perfomed before making any comments - but I am more than satisfied and will definitely be bringing in additional pairs as well.

yup, it sucks. Without these toe plates, I'd have to resole in a week...I'm that hard on my toes.

I hope these plates last at least a few months before needing to be replaced.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Harper
Since you brought it up - I brought in 2 "newer" pair of shoes around a month ago as my gait really destroys the toe section of my soles and had him put in metal toe taps and Nick talked me into adding toppys. I walk alot in the city (3 miles yesterday) - and wanted to wait to see how everything perfomed before making any comments -

what was the reasoning behind?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I hope these plates last at least a few months before needing to be replaced.

the flushed ones should last two or three years...

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
the flushed ones should last two or three years...
don't think thats gonna happen for me. I'd say about 6 months max, walking about a mile daily on concrete. I destroy my toes for some reason.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't know, I walk about three miles a day during the week in New York and even more on the weekends and I don't have the issues you people do. You either run everywhere, are 300 pounds, don't have enough shoes in rotation or are buying shoes that are too big for you, or all of the above.

Also, if you are not getting good oak bark tanned soles on your mto shoes I suggest doing so. Some shoemakers put garbage on the bottoms of their shoes. For example crockett & jones benchgrade shoes wear down really fast. If you get the handgrade, or resole your bensh grade shoes with JR's they will last much longer. People always argue the topy and rubber sole issues, but my JR soles have way outlasted my dianite soles in dry and wet conditions.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
don't think thats gonna happen for me. I'd say about 6 months max, walking about a mile daily on concrete.

I destroy my toes for some reason.

the plates will last. probably the soles will be gone. shouldn't be either.

i walk more and on a mix of gravel, cobblestones and concrete. two years is minimum.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I don't know, I walk about three miles a day during the week in New York and even more on the weekends and I don't have the issues you people do. You either run everywhere, are 300 pounds, don't have enough shoes in rotation or are buying shoes that are too big for you, or all of the above.

Also, if you are not getting good oak bark tanned soles on your mto shoes I suggest doing so. Some shoemakers put garbage on the bottoms of their shoes. For example crockett & jones benchgrade shoes wear down really fast. If you get the handgrade, or resole your bensh grade shoes with JR's they will last much longer. People always argue the topy and rubber sole issues, but my JR soles have way outlasted my dianite soles in dry and wet conditions.

I walk quickly, weigh 170, have 5 pairs of brown shoes, 4 pairs of black, buy shoes that fit but have a more elongated last, and generally operate on a benchgrade-ish level. I'm assuming most of my soles are vegetable tanned.

Perhaps its a combination of the elongated toe and the way that I walk.

As you know by now, the way people walk can be quite different.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
the plates will last. probably the soles will be gone. shouldn't be either.

i walk more and on a mix of gravel, cobblestones and concrete. two years is minimum.

well, after one day I have noticeable wear on the metal plates, so i'm not so sure.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads