• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B.Nelson does a great job

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I need to bring in yet a third pair in the last two months for a resole. Damn, shoes.

What do you mean? You are already getting the rubber replaced, or you are adding toppys to another shoe?

I still cannot make up my mind. If you anticipate wearing leather soles shoes for day-to-day purpose (walking in the street, to work, on your feet a few hours) wouldn't it make sense to get the rubber? I cannot see why it would be better to wear leather soled shoes around a city....

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

What do you mean? You are already getting the rubber replaced, or you are adding toppys to another shoe?
I still cannot make up my mind. If you anticipate wearing leather soles shoes for day-to-day purpose (walking in the street, to work, on your feet a few hours) wouldn't it make sense to get the rubber? I cannot see why it would be better to wear leather soled shoes around a city....

I think you are thinking of the wrong guy, I would rather drill a hole in my testicle than get topy's put on my shoes.

I have another pair of shoes that the leather is worn down. It is another C&J pair. I find that on their benchgrade shoes the stock soles are absolutely garbage, it takes nothing to get them to wear down. Nick did two other pairs of C&J's for me with JR's one of which was two years ago, longer than the stock soles lasted on them.

The whole topy vs. leather vs. dianite has been debated to death in other threads. It all comes down to preference, but all I have is my own personal experience, which I will quote below from another thread:

For what it is worth all of my Crockett & Jones benchgrade shoes had leather soles that were slippery as all hell, especially on tile, or marble floors. I had numerous near wipe-outs in the lobby of my office building. Any time I walked with either Bakers or JR oak bark tanned soles this never happened. It seems like cheaper sole replacements get very "slick" with wear, while oak bark tanned soles develop a kind of "nap" almost like suede, or nubuck after wearing them down a bit. This nap gives a lot more traction, much more than my Dianite soles ever did on all surfaces, including wet streets. Needless to say after all of these experiences I only use oak bark tanned soles and I replaced my Dianites. In addition any shoe that I have had replaced with oak bark the soles have lasted probably 3 times as long as other standard leather soles. Just some food for thought.

Last edited:

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I cannot see why it would be better to wear leather soled shoes around a city....

Shoes just look more, for lack of a better word, elegant when it's all leather in my opinion.

I think you are thinking of the wrong guy, I would rather drill a hole in my testicle than get topy's put on my shoes.
I have another pair of shoes that the leather is worn down. It is another C&J pair. I find that on their benchgrade shoes the stock soles are absolutely garbage, it takes nothing to get them to wear down. Nick did two other pairs of C&J's for me with JR's one of which was two years ago, longer than the stock soles lasted on them.
The whole topy vs. leather vs. dianite has been debated to death in other threads. It all comes down to preference, but all I have is my own personal experience, which I will quote below from another thread:

I agree with the leather soles on the benchgrade C&Js being a little soft. I had worn mine one day and the top of the sole of the shoe was wearing away a little too much for my liking, but until resoling with leather is cheaper and longer lasting than topy'ing, I will be topy'ing.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Maybe this is presumptuous, but topying $600 shoes solely because it is cheaper seems odd. It is like buying a Ferrari and replacing the tires with budget ones.

Last edited:

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maybe this is presumptuous, but topying $600 shoes solely because it is cheaper seems odd. It is like buying a Ferrari and replacing the tires with budget ones.

I'd agree with your analogy, but functionally I don't think you are losing anything by Topy'ing save for the appearance of the rubber, but then again I don't have issues with slipping in my Topy. Downgrading tires on a Ferrari though probably makes a very functional difference due to the traction and quality of the tire, but then again you don't think the OEM "tires" on a pair of C&J benchgrade shoes are all that great anyway.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'd agree with your analogy, but functionally I don't think you are losing anything by Topy'ing save for the appearance of the rubber, but then again I don't have issues with slipping in my Topy. Downgrading tires on a Ferrari though probably makes a very functional difference due to the traction and quality of the tire, but then again you don't think the OEM "tires" on a pair of C&J benchgrade shoes is all that great anyway.

:laugh: Touche!

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's more like buying a car based on looks and then putting a bra on it. Which people do.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just picked up another pair of Chelsea boots from Nick's shop and dropped off some shell balmoral boots. Great job as per usual.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just picked up: More resole Appreciation:

863cbdc9.jpg

Last edited:

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads