Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

B.Nelson does a great job

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Quadcammer, Apr 27, 2011.

1. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

Looks like slipped gemming. Calling DW....

2. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Doesn't look to me like a Goodyear-welted shoe? The "welt" looks more like a "bonwelt" (decorative not structural) and might not be leather. The shoes are either blaked or cemented.

http://www.barbourwelting.com/welting-products/

If the shoes do need a new sole, the bonwelt can be replaced.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015

3. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

4. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

I believe the shoes are blaked. Is it possible to replace the bonwelt without replacing the sole too? I'm hoping so because I already had BNelson replace the sole recently.

5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't see the issue. It looks like a scuff to me.

6. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Bonwelt is usually just cemented into place...although I seem to recall seeing bonwelt blaked along with the upper

7. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

Does anyone know if B.Nelson can change the width of the shoes?

8. matty long legs

matty long legs Senior member

I picked up these Edward Green Dovers about a year ago for a song on eBay. The seller totally mis-listed them. In fact, there was no mention of EG in the listing but he did include a pic of the foot bed. I ended up getting them for under $130 shipped :slayer:.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

They were in pretty decent condition, but I only got a few wears out of them before the sole wore through. I researched and contemplated shipping them back to EG for a factory restoration, but the cost was way too high so they ended up sitting in my closet for most of the summer and fall.

In November I was sick of looking at these unworn gems, so I turned to my favorite #menswear resource, Put This On, to look for a recommendation. B. Nelson appeared numerous times times, so I then skimmed this thread. I liked the results and especially the price, so I chose the high grade recraft - Joh. Rendenbach sole & heel recraft. For $150 (shipping included), it was certainly higher than my local cobbler but I only trust him with Allen Edmonds.

In mid-December I shipped the shoes to Nick in NY. A few days after shipment Nick called to clarify what I wanted and recommended an additional repair (I forget what) that would add another $40 to the bill. He said if I shipped these to the EG factory this additional repair would be done, so I agreed.

They were delivered last night and here are the results. I haven't worn them yet, but I'm very happy thus far. One question for the EG experts: are these dark oak?

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016

9. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

How much more do flush metal toe caps cost when having the heels and soles replaced?

10. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

IIRC it was $45 when I had just the metal toe taps installed on new soles.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016

11. AMH

AMH New Member

I've been to VIP Shoe Restorers / B Nelson twice for flush metal toe plates ($45), which they did very nicely (but once they put plastic heel plates on my worn heel which created a very uneven surface that was unpleasant to walk on). I'm curious why B Nelson has the other name (the VIP website says "VIP Shoe Restorers is proud to be in association with B. Nelson Shoes" whatever that means--both have the same address and phone number and the B Nelson name does not appear on the shop). I'm similarly curious why both have such poor reviews on Yelp and Google. There are some horrifying photos of shoddy stitching, staining and welt damage that really make me hesitate to take my favorite handcrafted Italian shoes for a resole (the original stitching is beautiful). Was it VIP or B Nelson who actually did the work?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017

12. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

I'm not sure why the two names, but I always they were one in the same.

13. mingus2112

mingus2112 Senior member

You know, i've seen those reviews as well and i've chalked it up to unrealistic expectations. You get the same problems that pop up recrafting from someplace like Allen Edmonds. The difference is that Allen Edmonds definitely implies that you'll get a practically new pair of shoes back. I don't think B. Nelson implies much more than a restoration - and Nick will certainly reign you in if he thinks you expect a new pair of shoes back. I recall one particularly funny review about how they ruined some girl's Birkenstocks. I realize they aren't cheap shoes and I guess they're supposed to be repairable, but considering you never wear socks with them and wear them in heat, I can't imagine "recrafting" something like that.

I've used them and they've exceeded expectations - both in the quality of work and the professionalism of the staff (Nick as well as the gentlemen at VIP where you walk in). As for "who does the work," I still don't know. I dropped my shoes off at VIP without mentioning anything about B Nelson, got home, panicked because I wasn't sure if the right people were going to work on my shoes, got home and emailed Nick who ultimately worked on my shoes. So if they're not the same entity, they definitely work closely together. Nick has also always answered my questions via email and used to be (maybe he still is - I don't lurk much anymore) pretty active and helpful around here as well!

-James

14. RobertELee

RobertELee Member

because of reading all your comments i sent Nick a nice pair of JM Weston shoes yesterday! eager to see the results!

15. MrInternational

MrInternational New Member

Hey all brand new to the forum but been lurking for the past few months. Just thrifted a pair of A.Testoni black oxford captoe dress shoes that have quite a bit of wear on the sole but heels are not to bad. Looking to eventually send them in for recrafting but not sure where. It doesn't look like Testoni has a recrafting service they work with directly.

Should I send them out to B. Nelson? Any experience with Cobbler Concierge or Nu Shoe? Yelp has meh reviews about B.Nelson but these maybe people with too high expectations thinking they are sending in crap and getting brand new shoes in return.

Thanks for all the help!