• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B.Nelson does a great job

Torsion

Reaction score

Probably wasn't Nick right? I usually don't see him there on Friday right before close.

I've never met Nick and I'm pretty sure it wasn't him. Definitely wasn't the best client experience in terms of friendliness and when I asked if there had been a price rise the response I got seemed to be like "well of course there has been and you should of known about it"

Last edited:

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've never met Nick and I'm pretty sure it wasn't him. Definitely wasn't the best client experience in terms of friendliness and when I asked if there had been a price rise the response I got seemed to be like "well of course there has been and you should of known about it"

It wasn't Nick and the guy can be abrasive, but the end result(s) are.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you're complaining about a $5 difference in the cost of toe taps on $300+ shoes I suggest you bow out of the high end apparel game completely.

Torsion

Reaction score
Not once did I complain about the difference,just the tone to the response to my query regarding the rise in the price.
I'm fairly new to NY so perhaps its my misunderstanding of the culture here and the way I was spoken to is how everyone rolls..

dslonghorn4

Reaction score
Thought I'd x-post my first B.Nelson experience (from Alden thread)..I picked up a pair of Ravello Kirkwoods a few months back, in which I wasn't keen on the commando sole. Had them re-soled to JR leather, and requested antiqued welts and edges with a local cobbler here in Chicago. The cobbler messed up the job and did not antique the top of the welts; I should have followed the advice of many SFers and used B.Nelson. After a few months of contemplation, I called Nick V. and commissioned him to replace/antique the welts the correct way and replace with dark brown Dainite soles. I had a little bit of frustration initially, as I waited an additional 2 weeks after the boots were promised (heavy volume in the shop). Nick was very apologetic, and I received the boots today (last picture with new Color #2 wallet from Ashland Leather). Overall, finally very happy with boots and Nick threw in a can of Saphir Reno for free!

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if B.Nelson can do a resole of the Alden Commando sole (or roughly equivalent)?:

1P_40568C.jpg

Last edited:

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

no they can't, unless this is recent. because they couldn't 3 months ago. they will do a vibram lugged sole but not alden commando. moulded shoe can do alden commando.

pB might have been responding to the "roughtly equivalent" part; I always forget Moulded do resoles.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

no they can't, unless this is recent. because they couldn't 3 months ago. they will do a vibram lugged sole but not alden commando. moulded shoe can do alden commando.

A friend had it done recently. I was there not too long ago where Nick showed me some that he had done. It may not be Alden exactly, but it was a sittched low profile cammando not like the thicker Vibram glued on ones that you see, (which he also does).

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thought I'd x-post my first B.Nelson experience (from Alden thread)..I picked up a pair of Ravello Kirkwoods a few months back, in which I wasn't keen on the commando sole. Had them re-soled to JR leather, and requested antiqued welts and edges with a local cobbler here in Chicago. The cobbler messed up the job and did not antique the top of the welts; I should have followed the advice of many SFers and used B.Nelson. After a few months of contemplation, I called Nick V. and commissioned him to replace/antique the welts the correct way and replace with dark brown Dainite soles. I had a little bit of frustration initially, as I waited an additional 2 weeks after the boots were promised (heavy volume in the shop). Nick was very apologetic, and I received the boots today (last picture with new Color #2 wallet from Ashland Leather). Overall, finally very happy with boots and Nick threw in a can of Saphir Reno for free!
Love the look of dainite on Alden especially with that edge trim. Recently sold a pair of narrow width Alden Indys. However before I sold them I reached out to Bnelson to see whether they can widen the shoe by way of relasting. Sadly, nick said they don't.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A friend had it done recently. I was there not too long ago where Nick showed me some that he had done. It may not be Alden exactly, but it was a sittched low profile cammando not like the thicker Vibram glued on ones that you see, (which he also does).

I dig the Alden (or Alden like) low-profile commando sole but wondering how does it compare to a Dainite sole in terms of comfort, grip and durability?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I found that dianite soles suck as far as everything. Slippery as hell in wet weather, much more so than good old oak bark soles (they get a nap like suede). Dianites are useless, IMO.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found that dianite soles suck as far as everything. Slippery as hell in wet weather, much more so than good old oak bark soles (they get a nap like suede). Dianites are useless, IMO.
Thanks for your input.

Here's another question, can B.Nelson do a neoprene sole similar to the Alden Indy boot? As far as flat soles go, that one seems to last a really long time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads