1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

B.Nelson does a great job

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Quadcammer, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Cost wise I would go with AE. I have not had issues yet with them. <Knock on wood>

2. forbritisheyes

forbritisheyes Senior member

@shoosensuits
    @Churchill W
    I think B Nelson is the better choice for AE and Alden shoes. You will end up paying $150 at AE. For that same price, you can get MUCH better soles(according to some experts here) at B Nelson that last longer. Meaning, the cost per every 10 years will be lower in sending your shoes to him. Don't trust those Yelp reviews. He has rectified things when they went wrong for SF members a few times.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  3. forbritisheyes

forbritisheyes Senior member

X Post:

Have any of you guys ever sent your Carmina shoes to B Nelson? Does he make the edge of the sole look the same as it was when you bought it brand new? Does he restore the sole edge dressing just the way the shoes come to us brand new. I like how the edge of the waist area is curved in a convex manner - not square like those on AE and Alden shoes. I want to know if he does it replicates it and 1) if I need to request it or 2)he does it automatically: does he?

Information is be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  4. Churchill W

My last recraft last year with AE cost $135 for a pair of Sanfords and had a v-tread sole added to it. You are right that with B. Nelson you would get JR soles for that price.

5. shoosensuits

shoosensuits Well-Known Member

Went with AE $125 service about a week ao. Will report back.

6. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Both do good work. Nick does excellent work, if you decide to try him instead of AE next time. I've been in his shop numerous times in the past and his results were great. Fun conversations too.

7. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

I am looking at having some work done on some shoes and thought I would start here with a question:

Does anyone know if it's possible to have someone like B. Nelson (or other recrafter) put a tongue pad INSIDE the tongue? Basically, open the tongue stitching, insert pad/ piece of leather, etc, and then stitch it closed?

I have slightly low volume feet and a couple pairs of shoes that the fit would benefit from tongue pads. I hate how it looks and would be very pleased to find a provider for this service. Thanks!!

8. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

Why not call them and inquire? Ask to speak to Nick V.

http://www.bnelsonshoes.com/contact.asp

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  9. kayjaybee

kayjaybee Senior member

I've sent a pair to be resoled with JRs and they are squared around the entire shoe. I understand your point as I like that too, but the JR soles are fantastic and look great. IMO, on my Simpon-last PTBs the waist looks even sexier with the JR sole because it has a more dramatic slope from front to back.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  10. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

Is this repairable? It looks to me like a decorative part of the shoe has been worn down and has exposed some part of the inside of the shoe.

[​IMG]

11. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

Looks like slipped gemming. Calling DW....

12. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Doesn't look to me like a Goodyear-welted shoe? The "welt" looks more like a "bonwelt" (decorative not structural) and might not be leather. The shoes are either blaked or cemented.

http://www.barbourwelting.com/welting-products/

If the shoes do need a new sole, the bonwelt can be replaced.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  13. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

14. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

I believe the shoes are blaked. Is it possible to replace the bonwelt without replacing the sole too? I'm hoping so because I already had BNelson replace the sole recently.

15. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't see the issue. It looks like a scuff to me.

16. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Bonwelt is usually just cemented into place...although I seem to recall seeing bonwelt blaked along with the upper

17. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

Does anyone know if B.Nelson can change the width of the shoes?

18. matty long legs

matty long legs Senior member

I picked up these Edward Green Dovers about a year ago for a song on eBay. The seller totally mis-listed them. In fact, there was no mention of EG in the listing but he did include a pic of the foot bed. I ended up getting them for under $130 shipped :slayer:.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

They were in pretty decent condition, but I only got a few wears out of them before the sole wore through. I researched and contemplated shipping them back to EG for a factory restoration, but the cost was way too high so they ended up sitting in my closet for most of the summer and fall.

In November I was sick of looking at these unworn gems, so I turned to my favorite #menswear resource, Put This On, to look for a recommendation. B. Nelson appeared numerous times times, so I then skimmed this thread. I liked the results and especially the price, so I chose the high grade recraft - Joh. Rendenbach sole & heel recraft. For $150 (shipping included), it was certainly higher than my local cobbler but I only trust him with Allen Edmonds.

In mid-December I shipped the shoes to Nick in NY. A few days after shipment Nick called to clarify what I wanted and recommended an additional repair (I forget what) that would add another $40 to the bill. He said if I shipped these to the EG factory this additional repair would be done, so I agreed.

They were delivered last night and here are the results. I haven't worn them yet, but I'm very happy thus far. One question for the EG experts: are these dark oak?

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  19. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

How much more do flush metal toe caps cost when having the heels and soles replaced?

20. Churchill W

IIRC it was $45 when I had just the metal toe taps installed on new soles.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016