1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

B.Nelson does a great job

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Quadcammer, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

ok guys here are the pics. some are crappy but its tough to get a decent picture with my lighting situation. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] This is one day of wear [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. mic

mic Senior member

Wow, you really DO beat the hell out of the toes, don't you?

3. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

I sure do. I have a very low arch and walk with purpose (lol) so the toes get crushed

4. Nick V.

Nick V. Senior member Dubiously Honored

From the customer side, Topys are easier and cheaper to replace than soles.

From the cobbler side, Topys yield more profit.

That's not the way I run my shop. Fortunately, we stay busy enough that I don't need to use this approach.

Just as I do, the customer works hard for their money. I don't feel that have the right to advise them for my gain. Rather, my value to them is to advise them on what's best for their particular situation.

Many that have dealt with me know that I often talk them out of something that would have netted me a higher gain because it's not necessary or, not good for the shoe.

Here are some examples.
    All cobblers know that the profit margin is greater on half soles than full soles. For that reason they prefer doing half soles. In fact, I have been ridiculed and called stupid by people in the industry for insisting on doing full soles rather than half on high-grades. When I ask them what they put on their "own" shoes they tell me full. What's that tell ya?
    When a customer comes in with a pair of AS's, Lobbs, AE's, Green's, Aldens or, any other high-grade and requests a half sole I'd rather send them down the block than do the job and I explain why. For those "in the know" half soles disrupt the integrity of a well made shoe. So the question is profit or, doing the right job? A true tradesman in any industry would prefer maybe insist on doing the right job. By taking this approach, they also know that profits will follow.
    Another example is, often customers will request JR soles and sole guards. Even though I would make more money I advise against it. I explain, if you are going to use a sole guard there will be virtually no wear on the leather. So why spend the extra money for JR? Use our standard super-prime grade leather and add the sole guard. This way, when the sole guard wears out, just replace it. Net, net the customer gets twice the wear for the same money. Who gains? In my view both parties. The customer saved money, he's happy about that and appreciates your honesty. No doubt he will return and it's likely he will refer his friends.

Bottom line is, some view things as profit first. I consider them as "hunters" that take advantage. We have all been in that situation. Nobody likes the outcome dealing with that sort of mentality.
    Others see it as integrity first, profits follow. A true tradesman in any field, sees a naive or knowledgeable customer and does their best to help them.
    There are plenty of true tradesmen out there, you just got to find them. When you do, you can bet they'll watch your back and, become your friend.

Thanks to all for your kind comments.

1 person likes this.
  5. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

Always a great job on my stuff:

the plastic heel tap is ridiculous...

6. meister

meister Senior member

Why do American shoes have this? It must effect the gait. The tap sits so high.

7. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

People with metal taps: do you get funny looks from others when you walk on hard surfaces? The click clacks must conjure images of tapdancing

8. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

I figure the sound of metal scraping marble is more irritating :x

9. NORE

NORE Senior member

[​IMG]

10. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

Why do American shoes have this? It must effect the gait. The tap sits so high.
    i would like to know this, too. i assume ignorance. i hope dwfII can say something about it.

11. entrero

entrero Senior member

This whole concept more or less ignores the fact that good shoes are constructed the way they are so that the sole may be replaced fairly easily and the shoe restored to its original lines/sleekness, etc..

That said, once you get going down this path the logical next step is to put topy on topy so that the topy never has to be replaced.

I've seen it.

Wise words indeed

12. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

People with metal taps: do you get funny looks from others when you walk on hard surfaces? The click clacks must conjure images of tapdancing

sometimes from idiots only, though.

13. Nick V.

Nick V. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DWFII
    This whole concept more or less ignores the fact that good shoes are constructed the way they are so that the sole may be replaced fairly easily and the shoe restored to its original lines/sleekness, etc..

That said, once you get going down this path the logical next step is to put topy on topy so that the topy never has to be replaced.

I've seen it.

Wise words indeed

Never seen that. But I didn't get to the billion mark yet either.

14. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

the flush units don't make much if any noise from what I've experienced.

15. viator

viator Senior member

the flush units don't make much if any noise from what I've experienced.
    +1. Mine don't make any noise.

16. pwy95a

pwy95a Senior member

EG Chelseas...Happy with the work except they didn't get the stitching nailed on the waist of the sole...came undone...I took them back and they tried using glue, but it came undone again. I'm sure if they had another shot they'd get it right, but for me the wait time is a big deal. Would likely give them another shot but they gotta nail it on the 1st try...

17. Benjamin E.

Benjamin E. Well-Known Member

I have 2 pairs of dress shoes: a vintage pair of Florsheim Kenmoors and a pair of English made monkstraps. The Kenmoors have a metal heel plate (not flush) and the monks have leather heels with nails that have become rather exposed. The Kenmoors make a clicking sound on stone surfaces, but it's nothing like the clamor the monks make. They're loud and very slippery, so I'll probably get a piece of rubber put over the heels so they're more wearable. While I don't think I get funny looks now, when I wore dress shoes in high school, kids would turn around in the hall looking to see if a teacher was coming.

18. poissa

poissa Senior member

19. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Just go ahead and have the heel changed to rubber. I have a pair of vintage florshiems that had that same issue with the nails. That was the first thing I did, and I'm tremendously happy that I did it. The original stacked leather with vibram. It'll cost you the same as any reheeling, around $20. Prices may vary in the New York market.

A brand that makes top grade sole leather.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  20. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

actually, one could learn to walk instead of destroying a piece of history, imo.