1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

B.Nelson does a great job

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Quadcammer, Apr 27, 2011.

1. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Great Posts, thanks for the information.

2. NORE

NORE Senior member

I hate to kill a man's business but I agree with this which is why I will only send my shoes to the manufacturer for a resole. There are ways to get it done correctly the first time and quickly. All the rest of you are small tymerz.

3. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

I don't like how Alden service puts in "Alden Remanufacture" on the shoes, and also the super long wait.

4. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Allen Edmonds puts in a little hammer stamp when they recraft their shoes.

5. Goodman

Goodman Senior member

Which is exactly why I'm stopping by today to drop off 2 pair of G&G's for some flush mounted metal toe plates.

6. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

Nice! It' selling for $850 on the RL website.

7. Torsion

Torsion Senior member

I was a bit puzzled earlier, I took two new pairs over to the shop to get toe plates added. Was charged $80 ($40 each pair). Initially the guy serving me wrote $70 on the ticket then he scribbled it out and wrote the 80 bucks.
    Having only taken a few pairs over about 2/3 months ago I walked out surprised.

Has anyone else been charged $40 per pair recently? It was $35, I've taken 6 pairs over since April, all adds up but no doubt they do a good job and saves toe damage

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

9. Torsion

Torsion Senior member

I think he mustn't of liked me :embar: was probably last customer of a tough Friday

10. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Probably wasn't Nick right? I usually don't see him there on Friday right before close.

11. Torsion

Torsion Senior member

I've never met Nick and I'm pretty sure it wasn't him. Definitely wasn't the best client experience in terms of friendliness and when I asked if there had been a price rise the response I got seemed to be like "well of course there has been and you should of known about it"

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  12. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

It wasn't Nick and the guy can be abrasive, but the end result(s) are.

13. patrickBOOTH

If you're complaining about a $5 difference in the cost of toe taps on $300+ shoes I suggest you bow out of the high end apparel game completely.

1 person likes this.
  14. Torsion

Torsion Senior member

Not once did I complain about the difference,just the tone to the response to my query regarding the rise in the price.
    I'm fairly new to NY so perhaps its my misunderstanding of the culture here and the way I was spoken to is how everyone rolls..

15. dslonghorn4

dslonghorn4 Senior member

Thought I'd x-post my first B.Nelson experience (from Alden thread)..I picked up a pair of Ravello Kirkwoods a few months back, in which I wasn't keen on the commando sole. Had them re-soled to JR leather, and requested antiqued welts and edges with a local cobbler here in Chicago. The cobbler messed up the job and did not antique the top of the welts; I should have followed the advice of many SFers and used B.Nelson. After a few months of contemplation, I called Nick V. and commissioned him to replace/antique the welts the correct way and replace with dark brown Dainite soles. I had a little bit of frustration initially, as I waited an additional 2 weeks after the boots were promised (heavy volume in the shop). Nick was very apologetic, and I received the boots today (last picture with new Color #2 wallet from Ashland Leather). Overall, finally very happy with boots and Nick threw in a can of Saphir Reno for free!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. phototristan

Anyone know if B.Nelson can do a resole of the Alden Commando sole (or roughly equivalent)?:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  17. patrickBOOTH

18. phototristan

Great!

19. imolazhp_ci

imolazhp_ci Senior member

no they can't, unless this is recent. because they couldn't 3 months ago. they will do a vibram lugged sole but not alden commando. moulded shoe can do alden commando.

20. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

pB might have been responding to the "roughtly equivalent" part; I always forget Moulded do resoles.