• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B.Nelson does a great job

brooklyn

Reaction score
Has anyone had metal toe taps that are not flush mounted?

bjh

Reaction score
Yes, and the "not flush mounted" work fine. Had them for years, and yes, they must be replaced periodically. The more expensive flush mounted are a much nicer solution to the toe-wear problem. I will have all new shoes flush mounted at B. Nelson unless they are factory mounted.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Has anyone had metal toe taps that are not flush mounted?

yes. as others said. they work fine. actually, i prefer them to the flush's.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my Belgraves back with JR soles, flush metal toe taps, and antiqued sole edges.

jpc9

Reaction score
xpost from Alden megathread:

Just got these back from Nick over at B. Nelson. These are Context Roys I acquired in February, never wore because I hated the crepe sole. NicK replaced the crepe with a Alden double waterloc and added flush metal toe taps. Nick V. went above and beyond in attending to my many questions. What a stand-up guy and a true gentleman.

yywwyy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much does it cost to install just flush metal toe-taps and heel caps on new shoes? How long would this process take? Appreciate your help!

jpc9

Reaction score
How much does it cost to install just flush metal toe-taps and heel caps on new shoes? How long would this process take? Appreciate your help!
35 for the toe taps, not sure on the heel caps. Give them a call.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...So I've got a pair of AE Daltons on the way in burgundy shell. On my double-soled Leeds, the toe is wearing down significantly faster than the rest of the sole. I've heard the pros and cons of flush toe plates and am this close to having it done on the boots when they arrive.

There are dozens of cool shots of them brand-new from installation but I couldn't find any photos of how they look as time goes on. Anybody up there feel like snapping a photo of your worn toe-plated sole and posting it?

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a few of my shoes done with the toe plates. What I've come to find is that I wear the toes badly for the first few wears, and as the sole becomes more flexible (which takes longer on the double soles), the toe wear subsides. Its alarming at how fast you get through the stitching, but it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

...So I've got a pair of AE Daltons on the way in burgundy shell. On my double-soled Leeds, the toe is wearing down significantly faster than the rest of the sole. I've heard the pros and cons of flush toe plates and am this close to having it done on the boots when they arrive.
There are dozens of cool shots of them brand-new from installation but I couldn't find any photos of how they look as time goes on. Anybody up there feel like snapping a photo of your worn toe-plated sole and posting it?

I think I have only put maybe 10 - 15 wears on my shoes with the toe plates. Let me know if you still want pictures of that. I don't think they look that much different than new.

imolazhp_ci

Reaction score
just came across this thread but have to say, as long as i've owned nice shoes, the first thing i do is take them to nick and have flush plates on the toes and plastic taps on the heels installed. i think i pay $42 for both? anyways, nick's not someone who is going to tell you what you want to hear. nick will tell you what your options are on a sliding scale and he's always been right, at least with me.

even a time i spilled beer on a pair of church's which caused the shoes to get raised spots. he told me the chances of being able to correct it were slim to none, but he'd try if i wanted. he tried and he fixed them perfectly. this continues my point that nick is a straight shooter.

i've actually had two new pair of alden's sitting in my closet for 4 weeks now, that i haven't even put on because i haven't had time to drop them at nick's. i'm taking them in tomorrow, actually, and look forward to great work as usual.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads