Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

B. Nelson does a bit of customizing to an Alden Black Shell Wingtip...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by tmw, Dec 1, 2012.

Tags:
  1. tmw

tmw Senior member

Hi All,

I really enjoy reading this thread. I've been into Aldens for over 30 years now and am still wearing a pair of #8 Chukka's I bought in the early 80's. I'm certainly no Uncle Mac, but I'm usually never without at least 13-14 pairs in the collection at any given time..

Pictured is the J.Crew/Alden collaboration from last year. A nice looking boot as it was, but my 7.5D size foot usually needs a bit of a bulkier welt/sole (in some cases, anyway) to make it look better proportioned...

I gave these to Nick at B. Nelson and decided that adding a storm welt and double leather (J.R. Rendenbach) soles would do the trick. I decided to try an antique edging to see how it would turn out. If I didn't like, I could always have it refinished in black.

I think the results are pretty cool. Only problem is that the boot now seems a tad more snug than before and cannot be worn with the thicker socks I like for our NE winters. So they may eventually find their way to buy and sell and I'll do the same thing again to a new pair in size 8...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Edmund K

Edmund K Senior member

The edge detail is beautiful! Awesome.

3. cj610

cj610 Senior member

Nice......... :thumbs-up:

4. tmw

tmw Senior member

Guys, I gotta tell ya...B. Nelson does better work than the Alden factory these days..

I have no affiliation w/B. Nelson or any of it's employees etc etc.

If I wind up selling these it will only be to purchase a larger pair and have the same treatment done.

cheers
    Todd

5. tmw

tmw Senior member

Is there any way to move this to the Alden thread? That's where it was intended to go.