• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Awkward Racial Question

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A.L.Z.
LOL. Yes, Vietnamese are held in particular contempt by the Chinese, especially Hong Kong Chinese and Taiwanese. And yes, Filipinos are the 'maid" class in Hong Kong, as the original poster will discover when he goes there....

The saddest part of all is Toronto's various East Asian communities are exquisitely aware of their own hierarchy and continue to mire themselves in this self-inflicted filth...

Japanese are the highest, by the way (and rightfully so)....

wapanese

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
If he's Korean, he should be calling them "jjang ggae"

I text him that this morning and he enjoyed it, thanks.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
When it comes to racial epithets, I'm here for you.

fleet on feet

Reaction score
If you have been offered the opportunity, your upper management clearly sees you as a good fit for the position. They are confident in your ability to succeed, so don't question it.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fleet on feet
If you have been offered the opportunity, your upper management clearly sees you as a good fit for the position. They are confident in your ability to succeed, so don't question it.

That might be the case, but socially it will suck.

Japan was pretty bad when I lived there - the only girls who would date a black guy were doing it to be rebellious and it was definitely a very fucked up situation where the guy knew he was being used as an object. And if you weren't white or black, well, there was zero chance of pretty much anything happening.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by akatsuki
\\- the only girls who would date a black guy were doing it to be rebellious and it was definitely a very fucked up situation where the guy knew he was being used as an object.

Keep in mind that happens here too.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever heard anoyone say that Hong Kong sucks socially. In fact, it is hard to imagine any expat under any circumstances saying that about HK. And OP will hardly be the first black guy there. ****, I know two and I've never even lived there.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by akatsuki
That might be the case, but socially it will suck.

Japan was pretty bad when I lived there - the only girls who would date a black guy were doing it to be rebellious and it was definitely a very fucked up situation where the guy knew he was being used as an object. And if you weren't white or black, well, there was zero chance of pretty much anything happening.

Do you speak good Japanese?

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
Do you speak good Japanese?

At the time I was conversationally fluent (like actually conversationally fluent, not just the BS I speak a few words). Not so much anymore since I never use it.

And obviously I was massively generalizing, there were definite exceptions - I think that making actual friends with someone in Japan (versus the standard polite friendship) was much harder to breach the further "out" you were - so white people took longer than Japanese natives, then black people because at least they were in Hollywood movies, then everyone else.

It was pretty amazing the stereotypes they had about my Mexican buddy though. Half the time I think they were expecting him to have a sombrero or something.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
(dude in Asia here)

I think you'll be fine. Hong Kong is accessible and people are used to seeing foreign businessmen, it's only been like what, 200 years? There might be some odd moments, but you'll have to forgive people's ignorance and know they don't mean too much by it. And better yet, you'll be ballin! That tends to reduce the amount of troubles you run into in Asia, regarding interactions.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
yup us azns are racists. (personally I like to think I'm an equal opportunity racist- I make fun of all races including and most specially my own)

M. Bardamu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP should be prepared for old ladies sneaking up behind him, touching his arm and then looking at their hand to see if any black has rubbed off...

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^Also the stares of, and pointing from, children who have never seen a black person IRL before.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
should we tell OP 'bout "darlie toothpaste"?
Darlie%20Toothpaste.JPG

SnarlPatrick

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
As bad as it might be you won't be in any physical harm and you'll have an chance to not only better your self but perhaps break down a few racial boundaries along the way.

No physical harm? You're forgetting ninjas.

Jokes aside, go for it. Like someone else said, dress sharp, defy any stereotypes, and if anyone gives you grief, just dismiss it as not warranting your attention.

Congrats

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics