• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Awesome leather journal

jc1234

Reaction score
I recently had this journal made by Renaissance Art that I thought I would provide a quick review on, as it has exceeded my wildest expectations. I type almost everything on my computer, but no matter how good of a typist I become (I type much faster than I write), I cannot listen to someone speak and type at the same time. M brain just cannot concentrate on both things, either I stop typing without realizing it, or more often, I just stop listening without realizing it. However, I can write and listen to someone speak just fine. So I will use this as a business journal to record details throughout the day during conference calls and meetings where there isnt enough break in communication to type out ideas or create an electronic draft of meeting minutes for later distribution. I also use it to form my to do lists each day. For some reason they are more effective for me than a calendar or electronic list.

At any rate, I have been using an AMPAD gold fibre notebook with 28 pound paper and it worked well, but I wanted something a touch nicer to use during client meetings, that would also hold a pen, and be self enclosed so I could toss it in my brief and not worry about pages getting damaged. I had ordered a customized journal from this company as a present for my best man at my wedding years ago and remembered how much I liked their work. What I received today in the mail simply blew me away though, it is just awesome.

The journal itself consists of the cover and removable (thus refillable) journal inserts. The insert has approximately 80 pages (160 sheets) which are made of woven 100% cotton rag. The pages are about 1.5 times as thick and 2 times as stiff as my 28lbs paper I was using, although in weight, I believe that the cotton rag is actually slightly lighter. I am left handed and use parker style Visconti 1.0mm gel inserts for my pens, but I still need thick paper that will both absorb ink quickly to avoid smudging and that is thick enough not to bleed through; this journal definitely takes care of those requirements.

Custom changes include the closure and internal business card pocket, as well as a pen loop. My name is also engraved, but I have blacked this out in the photos for personal privacy. I requested heavily distressed leather, which is an option for all of their leather items. The only thing that the journal does not linclude, is a ribbon to mark the current page. I did not want a leather marker, as its just too thick. I will most likely tie a piece of ribbon onto the outside binding of the insert and replace the ribbon when I replace the insert.

Here are a few photos:

f559bf30.jpg

b99972e5.jpg

5af38bd6.jpg

27bad8fd.jpg

cbbc2129.jpg

2c36417b.jpg

stipes

Reaction score
Looks a bit too bulky for my tastes, but the leather looks good and the 28lb paper sounds very nice.

jc1234

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stipes
Looks a bit too bulky for my tastes, but the leather looks good and the 28lb paper sounds very nice.

Its cotton rag, not paper. I was saying that my previous paper was 28 pound regular paper. But as far as paper goes, the last journal wasnt bad for a stock journal at all. This is just much much to my taste.

Yes it is bulky, but thats my style...big and bulky, go figure.

stipes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jc1234
Its cotton rag, not paper. I was saying that my previous paper was 28 pound regular paper. But as far as paper goes, the last journal wasnt bad for a stock journal at all. This is just much much to my taste.

Yes it is bulky, but thats my style...big and bulky, go figure.

Ah, missed that. You say its significantly thicker than the 28lb... What kind of pen do you typically use? Seems like you'd be the type to use a wide-nib fountain with paper that thick.

jc1234

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stipes
Ah, missed that. You say its significantly thicker than the 28lb... What kind of pen do you typically use? Seems like you'd be the type to use a wide-nib fountain with paper that thick.

I use a pen that takes ball point parker style refills, but I use Visconti 1.0mm gel cartridges. The paper being so thick makes a huge difference for me as a lefty. I get that nice smooth feel, but the ink soaks in before it has a chance to smudge. Cotton rag is the only "paper" Ive been able to find that will do this. I dont use fountain pens, one because Im a lefty and two because I often fly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads