• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Awesome boots; astronomical price

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Santoni has a low cut boot like that for a 1/3 of that price. It doesn't have similar antiquing though.l

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
$1500 for a pair of boots that you'll wear for a lifetime ain't so bad
smile.gif

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These boots are great
inlove.gif

Maybe wait for them to go on sale and then buy some BG merchandise credit for additional savings and you could get them under $1000.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
Saw these in another thread and can't get 'em out of my mind! (Can't afford 'em, either.) http://www.bergdorfgoodman.com/store...13529cat227202 Does anyone know where I might find similar boots in that color for, oh...say, less than half the price of these?
For an approximate colour match, but in a solid finish (as opposed to the woodgrain-like finish of the JLs), try the R.M. Williams boot, Macquarie model (narrow-medium toe, 'flat' heel), with the welted sole option, in either of the following colours: - whiskey (if you intend to patina it) - or perhaps tan/dark tan This will be a MTO, and will set you back about AUD$350, which is ~USD$240.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
$1500 for a pair of boots that you'll wear for a lifetime ain't so bad
smile.gif

I agree with you in principle, but $1500 is a mortgage payment for most Americans. Ouch!

Originally Posted by apropos
try the R.M. Williams boot, Macquarie model...in either of the following colours:
- whiskey (if you intend to patina it)
- or perhaps tan/dark tan

That is indeed a nice boot. Unfortunately, it seems only to be available in black and chesnut, and Williams' version of chesnut appears (on my screen) significantly darker than the Lobbs.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is indeed a nice boot. Unfortunately, it seems only to be available in black and chesnut, and Williams' version of chesnut appears (on my screen) significantly darker than the Lobbs.
R.M. Williams are very amenable to MTO (made to order) orders for special (i.e. non-stock) leather/sole/heel/width requests - just contact any of the following retailers for a quote: http://www.aussiebushhats.com.au/catalog/default.php (I've used them - excellent service, but prices are a shade higher) http://www.bootsonline.com.au/ http://www.nungar.com.au/catalog/ (never replied to my email queries, YMMV) And FWIW, 'base colour' leathers are always offered - whiskey, tan, dark tan, chestnut - in addition to a constantly changing seasonal palette of leathers. Chestnut is indeed far too dark, which is why I recommended whiskey/tan/dark tan.
smile.gif
If you are in or around NYC, you can swing by the RMW shop there to check out leather swatches. Otherwise have a look at the 'shoe Appreciation' thread or the excellent RMW thread started by Sator for tons (literally) of good photographs of RMW boots to help you get an idea of 'real life' colours.

lizmasc

Reaction score
While I'm not doubting the quality of the build, the pics of the website you showed me seem to have some kind of post production being done to the pic(s). But for the price I expect it to last for a lifetime
teacha.gif
smiley2.gif

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
R.M. Williams are very amenable to MTO (made to order) orders for special (i.e. non-stock) leather/sole/heel/width requests.
Thanks for all the helpful info, apropos, and I apologize for making you repeat yourself. I see now that you had already mentioned the MTO option in your first post, and I missed it by reading carelessly and by going immediately to the links. I'll definitely look into the Macquaries. Thanks again.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Santoni is your answer. I know I have seen a Santoni with a similar finish before, and the height was almost identical. Santoni makes hundreds of models at any one time, try researching that avenue.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the helpful info, apropos, and I apologize for making you repeat yourself. I see now that you had already mentioned the MTO option in your first post, and I missed it by reading carelessly and by going immediately to the links. I'll definitely look into the Macquaries. Thanks again.
No worries mate. Always glad to help. Let us know how everything turns out (even if you don't go the RMW route).
smile.gif

Nuff said

Reaction score
Loake 290. Not quite as elegant but a reasonable approximation for the price.
T_L290T_220.jpg
These are from: theshopforshoes.com, but I am sure there are plenty of other online sellers.

RyanM

Reaction score
It was me who posted that link to those boots the other day...

but anyways, I was just looking at these RL ones, they're on sale now.
These are made by Crockett and Jones right?
I want to buy them, but I need a proxy because I'm in Toronto. (earlier I posted that I'm looking for one in the b&s forum)...

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Santoni is your answer. I know I have seen a Santoni with a similar finish before, and the height was almost identical. Santoni makes hundreds of models at any one time, try researching that avenue.

Let me know where I can find some Santonis. I like them, but not at their retail price!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads