1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Avoiding Looking too preppy...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Ears, May 12, 2009.

1. Ears

Ears Member

Hi everyone. Ive reached an impasse in life. Im currently upgrading my wardrobe/life, wearing a tie to school ( university) several days a week, occasional dress pants and nice shoes etc. However, I dont want to look like the stereotypical rich boy prep. Im proud of my past of growing up under much different circumstances, and Id like to keep some of my older more masculine look. However, Im not sure how to do this. Other than simply wearing a black leather or denim jacket over my tie and dress shirts, how else can I dress nice but still come off with a bit of attitude or punkish look?

2. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

3. RyJ Maduro

RyJ Maduro Senior member

Buy Slim Fit shirts and Milano fit trousers from Brooks Brothers.

Really edgy. [​IMG]

4. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

How 'bout a mohawk?

5. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Facial tattoos.

close. the correct answer is to get sleeved.

6. RyJ Maduro

RyJ Maduro Senior member

close. the correct answer is to get sleeved.

Only get tattoos which can be covered, even when wearing a short-sleeved polo.

You wouldn't want to jeopardize future club memberships when your "edgy phase" wears off. [​IMG]

7. L.R.

L.R. Senior member

haha...Ive got several tattoos and recently had a mohawk.

8. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Only get tattoos which can be covered, even when wearing a short-sleeved polo.

You wouldn't want to jeopardize future club memberships when your "edgy phase" wears off. [​IMG]

naw, you def need forearm tattoos. "Edge" should never be a phase, but a way of life.....and besides you shouldnt join any club that would actually have you as a member [​IMG]

9. L.R.

L.R. Senior member

naw, you def need forearm tattoos. "Edge" should never be a phase, but a way of life.....and besides you shouldnt join any club that would actually have you as a member [​IMG]

Who can say Groucho Marx isnt relative today......

Though I am interested in seeing how a real person would pull of an "edgy" leather jacket and tie combo. (Not GQ models....real people)

10. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Though I am interested in seeing how a real person would pull of an "edgy" leather jacket and tie combo. (Not GQ models....real people)
    that's the catch, very very few can....it's one of those "magazine" looks that seems cool on a full splash page with a model, pro lighting and styling/photography....but when the punters see it and go gaga and try to do it themself, it looks shit and contrived. but if you're a real person who looks like a GQ model, then knock yerself out

11. auto90403

auto90403 Senior member

Santa Monica, California/McLean, Virginia
    The prep look means Brooks Brothers/J.Press/Ralph Lauren clothes worn in a fuck-you way. (Unless you've been to prep school, you'll never learn to read the markers of preppy authenticity -- who's the real thing and who's just trying to look like one.)

Nothing about nice pants, dress shoes and a tie (a tie?) a couple of times a week equals the prep look. (To the contrary, in fact.) If anything, your look appears a bit precious and fake.

12. barims

barims Senior member

that's the catch, very very few can....it's one of those "magazine" looks that seems cool on a full splash page with a model, pro lighting and styling/photography....but when the punters see it and go gaga and try to do it themself, it looks shit and contrived.

I saw a brief TV clip of will.i.am (of all people, though he does have some serious flair at times) succeeding at it once

I initially thought this was a wmmk thread [​IMG]. If it was, I'd still post images from this Watanabe collection every time:

[​IMG]

Ears - you have a decent scope for experimentation, I think. You can go with flat caps and trilbies; you can integrate Engineered Garments-style workwear in place of trad items; you can go with rolled-up trouser hems and a slouchy appearance as in the photo; you can experiment with colours and proportions; you could even go for a Harrington jacket in place of a leather jacket - it may appear a lot less self-conscious. And, off kilter as it sounds, you need to be able to project a sense of yourself (lifestyle, musical/sporting/cultural interests) into outfits to individualise them

You should also get into accessories - akin to my hat suggestion, you have the options of scarves, gloves and even pin badges (if non-childish ones actually exist, of course)

I have a whimsical approach to dressing, so I find it difficult to give advice, but this is my stock answer to altering and personalising an iconic smart look. Notice that I didn't get into the issue of "edge" - it's better to have personal expression rather than affecting a pose

13. Cravate_Noire

Cravate_Noire Senior member

14. bluemagic

bluemagic Senior member

Buy Slim Fit shirts and Milano fit trousers from Brooks Brothers.

Really edgy. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wish they had Milano fit shirts, though... (And i'm not talking about Black Fleece, but something at the Slim Fit price-point).

15. stoneb

stoneb Senior member

Andrew, I doubt your account will last long if your contributions do not extend beyond plugging your webstore.

16. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

Do something different with the clothes. Roll something, crop something, something dirty/grungy looking, unique materials/textures, change proportions and make something oversized or shrunken, extra slim, extra baggy. Getting the regular to semi-slim fit pants and shirt is what makes it look extra safe and i guess what some see as "too preppy".

17. DLester

DLester Senior member

This is one of those "you know it when you see it" situations, where rules are difficult to apply.

For example, JFK was preppy but not too preppy. I can't quantify it though.

The "fail" preppy looks can be found at numerous golf clubhouses across the US. The general problem is that the individual and the clothes are too big to look right or that the person looks stuffy or ridiculous for some reason (high rise pants over the belly button).

If you take that same look, slim it down, lower the rise, put the clothes on an athletic person, you have already made significant improvements. Preppy to me is a bit sporty, so it helps to be somewhat athletic.

Maybe it is best to start by eliminating what looks bad and work backwards from there.

18. dsbkoko

dsbkoko Senior member

It's all about the hair man.

If you part it, or style it in a very conservative way, you are bound to look like you just had afternoon tea at your country club, after a round of golf with the dean of your local prep school.

Try to let your hair look modern, a little unkempt but still thought through, and you'll be able to pull off many of the looks without looking like an, excuse my language, prep-douche.

19. Kregg

Kregg Senior member

20. Octavio Interrupted

Octavio Interrupted Well-Known Member

Cock ring.

Serious answer: Stop shaving regularly. Also, wear stuff that doesn't go together (for pros only).