• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Avoiding Looking too preppy...

Ears

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Ive reached an impasse in life. Im currently upgrading my wardrobe/life, wearing a tie to school ( university) several days a week, occasional dress pants and nice shoes etc. However, I dont want to look like the stereotypical rich boy prep. Im proud of my past of growing up under much different circumstances, and Id like to keep some of my older more masculine look. However, Im not sure how to do this. Other than simply wearing a black leather or denim jacket over my tie and dress shirts, how else can I dress nice but still come off with a bit of attitude or punkish look?

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy Slim Fit shirts and Milano fit trousers from Brooks Brothers.

Really edgy.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
close. the correct answer is to get sleeved.

Only get tattoos which can be covered, even when wearing a short-sleeved polo.

You wouldn't want to jeopardize future club memberships when your "edgy phase" wears off.
teacha.gif

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
haha...Ive got several tattoos and recently had a mohawk.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RyJ Maduro
Only get tattoos which can be covered, even when wearing a short-sleeved polo.

You wouldn't want to jeopardize future club memberships when your "edgy phase" wears off.
teacha.gif

naw, you def need forearm tattoos. "Edge" should never be a phase, but a way of life.....and besides you shouldnt join any club that would actually have you as a member
teacha.gif

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
naw, you def need forearm tattoos. "Edge" should never be a phase, but a way of life.....and besides you shouldnt join any club that would actually have you as a member
teacha.gif

Who can say Groucho Marx isnt relative today......

Though I am interested in seeing how a real person would pull of an "edgy" leather jacket and tie combo. (Not GQ models....real people)

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L.R.
Though I am interested in seeing how a real person would pull of an "edgy" leather jacket and tie combo. (Not GQ models....real people)
that's the catch, very very few can....it's one of those "magazine" looks that seems cool on a full splash page with a model, pro lighting and styling/photography....but when the punters see it and go gaga and try to do it themself, it looks **** and contrived. but if you're a real person who looks like a GQ model, then knock yerself out

auto90403

Reaction score
The prep look means Brooks Brothers/J.Press/Ralph Lauren clothes worn in a ****-you way. (Unless you've been to prep school, you'll never learn to read the markers of preppy authenticity -- who's the real thing and who's just trying to look like one.)

Nothing about nice pants, dress shoes and a tie (a tie?) a couple of times a week equals the prep look. (To the contrary, in fact.) If anything, your look appears a bit precious and fake.

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that's the catch, very very few can....it's one of those "magazine" looks that seems cool on a full splash page with a model, pro lighting and styling/photography....but when the punters see it and go gaga and try to do it themself, it looks **** and contrived.

I saw a brief TV clip of will.i.am (of all people, though he does have some serious flair at times) succeeding at it once

I initially thought this was a wmmk thread
tounge.gif
. If it was, I'd still post images from this Watanabe collection every time:

00400m.jpg

Ears - you have a decent scope for experimentation, I think. You can go with flat caps and trilbies; you can integrate Engineered Garments-style workwear in place of trad items; you can go with rolled-up trouser hems and a slouchy appearance as in the photo; you can experiment with colours and proportions; you could even go for a Harrington jacket in place of a leather jacket - it may appear a lot less self-conscious. And, off kilter as it sounds, you need to be able to project a sense of yourself (lifestyle, musical/sporting/cultural interests) into outfits to individualise them

You should also get into accessories - akin to my hat suggestion, you have the options of scarves, gloves and even pin badges (if non-childish ones actually exist, of course)

I have a whimsical approach to dressing, so I find it difficult to give advice, but this is my stock answer to altering and personalising an iconic smart look. Notice that I didn't get into the issue of "edge" - it's better to have personal expression rather than affecting a pose

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RyJ Maduro
Buy Slim Fit shirts and Milano fit trousers from Brooks Brothers.

Really edgy.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I wish they had Milano fit shirts, though... (And i'm not talking about Black Fleece, but something at the Slim Fit price-point).

stoneb

Reaction score
Andrew, I doubt your account will last long if your contributions do not extend beyond plugging your webstore.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics