• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Avoiding cigarette smoke on your clothes

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zenny
Wear a smoking jacket, it will feel right at home.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Granted it shouldn't be a real issue but that said it is still annoying that I have to be stuck smelling a cancer stick. And I agree that it always seems that smoke comes to me. Uhg.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
If you don't want your clothes to be affected by the ambient environment I suggest leaving them in their garment bag.

w.mj

Reaction score
Maybe a bit off-topic, but one of my favorite smells is old cigarette smoke in a cashmere sweater.

Dashing1

Reaction score
I'm afraid you can't avoid it altogether (unless you are hermetically sealed!)

However, you could get one of those Whirlpool fabric freshener devices. They seem to have a fairly small footprint and aren't terribly expensive. Depending upon whether or not you are an exec with your own office, you might keep one in the office, as well--a quick freshening of your jacket at work would get rid of the offending odor (at least in the garment closest to your nose and most likely to have absorbed a bit of the smoke smell).

http://www.whirlpool.com/catalog/pro...?productId=513

I am thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these, myself. I think it would decrease my need for dry cleaning considerably (and thereby lengthen the lifespan of my clothing).

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would have given the cretin a good lashing (not with the Briggs, of course.) I always keep a strap of barber's leather in my Valextra tote for just this sort of occasion.

Nothing but the finest pipe tobacco tarnishes my Huntsman!

tricota

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Canuker
Granted it shouldn't be a real issue but that said it is still annoying that I have to be stuck smelling a cancer stick. And I agree that it always seems that smoke comes to me. Uhg.

Well, sure its anoying. But to start throwing a tantrum and worrying, simply because some blows a little smoke on your suit, seams a bit extream. Atleast in my world.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you guys are being a bit harsh. if the smoker blew the smoke on the OP directly when the smoker had the option of being considerate and blowing smoke in another direction, the smoker was being an a-hole. So the question is, what do you do with an inconsiderate a-hole? Just because a smoker is outside doesn't give him the right to do whatever he wants. If he wants to do that, the smoker should do so at home.

Now, if the smoke was blown by the wind toward the OP, then the OP needs a diaper change.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
you guys are being a bit harsh. if the smoker blew the smoke on the OP directly when the smoker had the option of being considerate and blowing smoke in another direction, the smoker was being an a-hole. So the question is, what do you do with an inconsiderate a-hole? Just because a smoker is outside doesn't give him the right to do whatever he wants. If he wants to do that, the smoker should do so at home.

Now, if the smoke was blown by the wind toward the OP, then the OP needs a diaper change.

I see no offense unless the smoke is blew directly in OP's face, but in that case his suit is probably the least of his concern...

ACACRefugee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
Why is it that smokers always seem to be upwind?
It's not the wind. I smoke trying to avoid my smoke blowing towards others, however if I didn't know better I'd say it was electrostatic attraction. That being said, it's always possible to blow smoke upwards when suddenly surrounded by non-smoking passerby's.

But if assaulted by a Brigg, I'd do my civic duty by disarming the offender, retaining the weapon as a war trophy.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
I see no offense unless the smoke is blew directly in OP's face, but in that case his suit is probably the least of his concern...

It's just as offensive if I'm standing in a line and someone is smoking behind me and blowing the smoke right against my back. Granted, it's not my face, but it's still rude. Is it less rude if someone spit on your back rather than on your face?

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
It's just as offensive if I'm standing in a line and someone is smoking behind me and blowing the smoke right against my back. Granted, it's not my face, but it's still rude. Is it less rude if someone spit on your back rather than on your face?

If you know anyone that can blow smoke hard enough for you to feel from your fully dressed back, please let me know. I would need his/her service.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
If you know anyone that can blow smoke hard enough for you to feel from your fully dressed back, please let me know. I would need his/her service.

?? So this is your threshold for being rude, that someone has to feel the smoke penetrate through the garment? You're probably one of those self-entitled smokers.

akaidiot

Reaction score
I think it's a bit insane to worry about smokers outdoors, but I do hate when I travel back home (Virginia) or someplace where I'm not familiar with the smoking laws (anywhere but New York and LA) and find myself indoors where smoking is permitted. I'm not trying to get my clothes cleaned every time I wear them for a night, but I can't stand them smelling like smoke, either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads