1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Aviator glasses

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by the_sulks, Mar 26, 2012.

1. the_sulks

the_sulks Senior member

2. OlSarge

OlSarge Senior member

Excuse me? What does "in fashion" have to do with anything? The question is, "Are aviator glasses stylish?" Of course, the answer is "Yes!" So the only remaining issue is whether or not they complement your face. That is something only you can decide.

3. Panos

Panos Well-Known Member

Agree! Men don't have to be in fashion all the time. Some pieces, like Rayban Aviator glasses are classic.

You may want to check out Tom Ford though, I bought those last week.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  4. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

5. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Eh... most of the time I see someone wearing aviators, and I think "douchebag". Strangely it is also one of the few times I will also think that in reference to a woman as well.

Of course, I am sure none of you look like douchebags in yours...

6. herfitup

herfitup Well-Known Member

Agreed. I'm just at the age that mine are prescription bifocals, military grey-green tint, non-polarized. The military grey-green is about as dark as you can get but I'm also a pilot and they work well in the air on sunny days.

7. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

8. redips

redips Well-Known Member

There is some truth to this statement. i find the douchebaggery comes from guys who wear aviators a size too big (which is most) and don't take them off when appropriate. If worn by design, they are a timeless staple.

9. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

OP, Rayban aviators are classics. My suggestion is to check Randolph Engineering. For almost the same price point (or higher with lense options), imo are better made. good luck

10. garymyman

garymyman Senior member

If you can spring for it, I'd get a pair with polarized lenses. I've been wearing their Outdoorsman II style for about 10 years - I have them in gold and black, but there are others. I like the wrap around cables.

[​IMG]

11. emc894

emc894 Senior member

12. konoyaro

konoyaro Senior member

13. the_sulks

the_sulks Senior member

Okay, let it be your way. =)

I assume there are some universal rules relating to shape, shade, size. For example, I would like to choose the glasses of gray shade since my face and hair are light.

14. the_sulks

the_sulks Senior member

The Tom Ford glasses you posted look great, yet I don't see these glasses in the stores of my neck of the woods often.

15. the_sulks

the_sulks Senior member

16. the_sulks

the_sulks Senior member

Lol

17. the_sulks

the_sulks Senior member

What do you mean a size too big? Any pictures as examples?

Whatever, I tend to think any man looks a bit douchebaggery if he doesn't take them (no matter if the glasses are aviator or not) off when appropriate. Anyway, some girls like douchebags.

18. the_sulks

the_sulks Senior member

2all

The greatest point of my concert now is how to propely choose the size. How can I be sure the size is mine? Yeah, even though it is going to sound funny I must admit this is my first time when I buy myself sunglasses.

19. Spaghettimatt

Spaghettimatt Senior member

20. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Personally I do not like polarized lens for anything other than fly fishing. For the same reasons pilots don’t use polarized lenses. Most electronic devices like GPS’s, phones, cockpit instruments, etc. have polarized screens now and you can’t see them using polarized lenses.

For day to day and driving sunglasses I like Serengeti. The lens I find the most useful is the Serengeti Drivers Gradient Lens. I have both the medium aviator and Napoli and I find that I reach for the Napoli the most. Serengeti offers small, medium and large Aviator frames.