• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

AVIATION HISTORY! Own a piece of the aircraft hanger used by Charles Lindbergh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tweedydon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The hanger used by Charles Lindbergh at Twin Pine airfield. Hopewell, NJ is slated for demolition this week, with bids to turn it into an aviation museum having failed. It used t be one of the original grass airfields in the US; it's now playing fields.

Picture credit: NJ.com

Lindbergh was a resident of Hopewell--his baby was kidnapped from his nearby residence--and he frequently used this hanger to store his Curtiss. It's also likely that this is this is the hanger that he took off from to scatter the ashes of the baby.

UPDATE:

I live nearby, and will be speaking with the demolition crews early tomorrow morning (Tuesday) to see if I'll be able to salvage some pieces of the wood planks that the original part was constructed from. (No demolition occurred last week, but equipment is now present and the site is fenced off). I'm not aiming to secure whole planks, but small broken pieces of planks (roughly an inch or so wide, by a few inches long), suitable for framing or mounting. If I'm successful here I'll be offering these at $15 each, shipped--obviously, not looking to make a profit, but to help preserve a little bit of American aviation history!

Please PM with interest--quickly! :)

Information about the hanger is available here:

http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2011/10/hopewell_to_construct_aviation.html

I'll be posting more pictures shortly!

Attachments

Last edited:

tweedydon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No crews present last week, but the site is now fenced off and wrecking equipment appeared on Friday, so my guess is that it'll be gone tomorrow.....

I'll have pieces then; I'll be heading over first thing tomorrow morning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 60 17.4%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 115 33.3%
  • 8”

Votes: 104 30.1%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 10.4%
  • 9”

Votes: 14 4.1%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.0%