• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aversion to black sport coat / blazer?

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Here you go again. I'll say it again, brown and black don't look good together, in my opinion.

Even GQ says so..
bounce2.gif

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Well there you go again. It's merely a matter of opinion. I don't think brown and black is the most ideal combo, but it can easily be done, particularly if the brown is more on the tan side. Black and tan.

There you go again. Tan is neutral so it goes with black. Brown is not a neutral shade. Black and brown don't mix and black and navy don't mix. It's just that simple.

If you wear a black coat with brown shoes a prudent person will assume you don't own any black shoes. That, or you're too stupid to notice.

If you must get a black coat, go with charcoal instead. You'll thank me.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
brown and black in some instances is nice. dont be narrowminded like you typically are. ty
OK, you put on black and brown...as you see it and post pics on how it works I dislike the combination of black jacket and brown trousers. I once had a black blazer, I made the mistake thinking I could blend it in with blues, greys and earth tone/fall colors...but in the end, it was donated to the local Goodwill Charity as I felt it did not go well with the earth tones...and my blue blazer looked so much better with my odd blue and grey trousers. IMHO, black looks best in evening formal and semi-formal wear. This thread was started because the OP has his doubts. I commend him for posting this thread and hope our collective comments can shepherd him to make a right decision....which I believe is to stick with a blue blazer

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by potemkin_city_limits
Im not totally against black blazers, I just feel like anything you can pull off with a black blazer can be done the same or better with a navy one instead.

You mean those navy blazers that most people will assume is black, especially as you dine out in the evening?

I think the idea of the navy blazer as the mother of all versatile pieces of clothing hinges on the fact that most navy blazers are about as black as you can get without being black, and because black is reserved for black tie events in the standard rule book, you best get that navy blue that isn't black, but is close to black.

I am really starting to hate navy blue.

Chrenetique

Reaction score
Strangely, black is perfect for the very formal, and the very casual.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chrenetique
Strangely, black is perfect for the very formal, and the very casual.

And yet it looks horrifying and draining against most people's pale faces unless viewed in artificial light. The very reason it is often reserved for evening wear.

Not to mention your black sport coat might be confused with a young boy's 1st communion suit.

ceriano

Reaction score

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming you don't approve this one either? I prefer slim fitting jackets. I have a HF in B body,,, it makes me look like a coffee pot :(

https://www.saksoff5th.com/main/ProductDetail.jsp?FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302023897&PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524442272752&R=400949306674&P_name=Giorgio+Armani&N=1587+302023897&bmUID=mkprUfA

u don't a

If you are slim, a "slim fit" might work.
However, to me it's just a fashion fad
which I don't like.
Here's an example of my taste in black.
I actually have this jacket in brown linen

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Luigi-Borr...m=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313&LH_TitleDesc=0

dunivan

Reaction score
Honestly I wear a black suit on the regular, and I own a business. That same jacket, draped ever so lovingly in the back seat, has been a huuuuge bailout when a nothing planned day turned into a land a client day.

Do you - clothes only get you out of the house. If you like it, wear it. If it looks good, post it. If it sucks....buy something new.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads