• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Aversion to black sport coat / blazer?

airdale

Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2008
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Many on this site seem to have a strong distaste for black sport coats / blazers. I typically favor dark blue jeans, a simple collared shirt and a sport coat for casual occasions. While I've certainly gotten plenty of wear out of my navy blazers, I've got my eye on a new black sport coat. Please advise me if (and why) this might end up relegated to the back of my closet. And thanks for all the great advice I've picked up here.
 

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Joined
Apr 15, 2006
Messages
22,224
Reaction score
26
why would it become relegated to the back of your closet if you really like it? i can see it being worn under many occasions . better if your 20-30s something. i had a black isaia sportcoat once and it was out of this world. a nice sheen to it matched with brown trousers is a great look for evening casual dressy wear
 

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Oct 16, 2006
Messages
37,834
Reaction score
12,302
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
why would it become relegated to the back of your closet if you really like it? i can see it being worn under many occasions . better if your 20-30s something. i had a black isaia sportcoat once and it was out of this world. a nice sheen to it matched with brown trousers is a great look for evening casual dressy wear

Here you go again. I'll say it again, brown and black don't look good together, in my opinion.
 

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2006
Messages
8,999
Reaction score
734
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Here you go again. I'll say it again, brown and black don't look good together, in my opinion.

Well there you go again. It's merely a matter of opinion. I don't think brown and black is the most ideal combo, but it can easily be done, particularly if the brown is more on the tan side. Black and tan.
 

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Oct 16, 2006
Messages
37,834
Reaction score
12,302
Don't be ridiculous, I just stated my opinion again and made reference to your other post where I also disagreed. Where I disagreed you were the one who labled me as narrowminded. What label did I give you?
 

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
1,491
Reaction score
48
It really does come down to preferences. My second all purpose sport coat was a dark charcoal, i.e. black, 3 button and no vent, bought at some department store, cheap ass hell on sale. Anathema to some. I still wear it as an alternative to a sweater on cold days, I like it.
 

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jan 3, 2008
Messages
12,949
Reaction score
2,303
Black linen suits are cool, especially for an upscale nightclub scene.
 

dsmolken

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2008
Messages
674
Reaction score
24
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Black linen suits are cool, especially for an upscale nightclub scene.
I hate black, but yeah, I agree that black linen is all right. I got a black linen SC a few weeks ago. Black linen isn't really all that black anyway.
 

literasyme

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2008
Messages
963
Reaction score
2
It's really up to you -- if you like black, go for it. However, black coats can look cheap quite easily. They also don't bring much of interest to any combination, unless they have something going on texturally, as linen does. But if you like black, I'm sure you know ways of making it work for you.
 

J. Cogburn

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2009
Messages
654
Reaction score
12
Here you go again. I'll say it again, brown and black don't look good together, in my opinion
.

... and since we're collecting subjective aesthetic preferences here, put me down as a "yes" vote to that combination. I think black and brown look great together far more often than not. But of course, we can agree to disagree.

Black is fine after dark. Don't like black suits or sports coats in the day, however, because it is generally the uniform of the douche.
 

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Joined
Apr 15, 2006
Messages
22,224
Reaction score
26
Originally Posted by J. Cogburn
.

... and since we're collecting subjective aesthetic preferences here, put me down as a "yes" vote to that combination. I think black and brown look great together far more often than not. But of course, we can agree to disagree.

Black is fine after dark. Don't like black suits or sports coats in the day, however, because it is generally the uniform of the douche.


 

Larson McCord

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2010
Messages
507
Reaction score
15
I think most of the hate for black is in business wear. Wearing black with jeans and in casual wear is not something I see criticized that often.

I really hate black suits for business but I wear a lot of black in casual.
 

StyleHunter

Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2010
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
I have a very cool black rolled 3 button Isaia sport coat that I were with steel grey or taupe and I always get compliments.

Although onetime when wearing the steel grey slacks someone told me I looked like I was going to a wedding! ha-ha..
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

  • JW Anderson x Uniqlo

  • Nigo x Virgil Abloh

  • Converse x Midnight Studios

  • Rick Owens x Champion

  • Barbour x Engineered Garments

  • Adidas x Bed JW Ford

  • Jordan Brand x Dior

  • Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

  • Lego x Levi's


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
447,021
Messages
9,669,347
Members
202,025
Latest member
rdvges
Top