• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Average time it took you to see results from diet and working out

MikeCamp

Reaction score
I've been on a good work out routine the past month (getting ready for summer), weight training half hour, and then either the eliptical for 40 minutes or fast walking on an inclined treadmill. My diet has been awesome as well, i know this aspect is even more important sometimes that working out. I eat very clean, and 6 times a day, meals and snacks. I am getting discouraged because i have no seen the improvement i thought i would see in a month, i know there are a ton of factors that play into this but what was your average time until you started seeing some results?? I eat anywhere between 1800-2200 calories a day and burn 600 on the eliptical and about 150 from weight lifting, 5-6 times a week!

virus646

Reaction score
What's your goal? Loosing fat? 1lbs a week is a safe bet.

1 month is nothing, you won't suddently get jacked in that amount of time natural. Take pictures or measurements, either way works well.

MikeCamp

Reaction score
My main goal is to lose body fat and gain lean muscle. Its mainly my stomach LOL, i want to see that disappear, but maybe since i'm looking everyday i cant notice a difference. I took pics on 2/5 so in another 2 weeks i'll take them again and hopefully be able to notice something. Just curious to see how long it took other guys here to notice their gains, and fat loss while dieting and working out.

brokejew

Reaction score
1800-2200 is alot of calories for a cutting phase. Also, lifting will burn more calories, and will do so up to 48 hours after you finish lifting, just because the eliptical tells you 600 calories does not mean it is true, just like a MPG tally in a car. try reducing calories, lifting harder and running on off days or in the morning, and dont neglect legs.

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are asking already after only a month. This tells me that you don't even have the dedication to begin with. It is about a life style change, and a month wouldn't do it.

stillerfan07

Reaction score
+1. You have to be patient and understand it's a lifestyle change.
Working out and doing cardio is going help you out in the long run.
You are going to think better, have more energy, and be overall healthier.
Stick with it. Don't worry about it or look at yourself every day in the mirror.
Just stick with it and it will happen.

sexonfabric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
40 minutes on the elliptical or walking on a treadmill is pretty crap cardio for weight loss. Look up some HIIT routines on google and do these instead. Will be much better for you plus will take way less than 40 minutes!

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brokejew
1800-2200 is alot of calories for a cutting phase.

Perhaps if he's 5'1" and 110 pounds. Assuming he's actually an average height and weight, that's probably a pretty good total for cutting. He's going to destroy his metabolism if he's maintaining those activity levels and going below that low-end figure.

The "problem" is OP is expecting to see visible results after a MONTH of work. Doesn't work like that for most people.

Bash!

Reaction score
+1 on the HIIT routines. You end up burning equal or more calories throughout the day in less time. As far as losing weight there are many factors. If you're lifting weights, don't rely too much on scale numbers, go by measurements as you can be losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time. Lastly, I found that multiplying your weight x 10 or 11 is a good number to use for the amount of calories you should consume in a day.

Syl

Reaction score
some real numbers:
6'0 and was ~190lbs. With P90x, after 45 days I still didn't see much change. By 90 days, I did. If you are just doing typical treadmill cardio stuff, I'd say twice that time is realistic. I've also found that you need to push hard to get results.

Bash!

Reaction score
I've been meaning to try out P90X. They have a new one called Insanity that doesn't require pull-up bar or bands etc. Looks intense.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To OP:

Eating 6 meals a day means nothing. Eating clean is good but only one part of the puzzle. You need to know your maintenance calorie level and undershoot it consistently by 500 kcal.

Also the word "snack" in you post sets off warning flags to me. To paraphrase Yoda, eat a meal or don't eat a meal. There is no snack.

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

Reaction score
took me 3 weeks to see results. this is what i was doing

started with 5x5 on T, Th, Sat
cardio on M, W, F
rest on Sun

every day for breakfast I ate 2 egg omeletes with mushrooms, onions, avocado, and tomatoes (when i remembered to buy them), + banana / apple

for lunch and dinner i had one chicken breast, with mixed green salad, alfalfa sprouts, 1/2 avocado, mushrooms

one 24 hour period where i could have a cheat day, but even then tried to keep it clean.

are you eating as clean as i am?

MikeCamp

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the good posts and i will def. check out the HIIT workouts. and my question was answered, i will not see results in a month
biggrin.gif
... and my 'snacks' are just that, maybe an apple with some peanut butter, orange, banana, 90 calorie kellogs bar , something like that.. my typical food intake is
breakfast- protein shake with oatmeal (i use almond milk)
snack
Lunch- 2 turkey burgers on once slice of whole wheat bread with either a side of brown rice or veges
snack
dinner- chicken breast with same side dish
snack

I think like you all said, i just need to stick with it and not get discouraged. I was under the impression i would have seen decent results.. thanks again guys!

Bang Dat-Ho

Reaction score
I started bulking in August and it took me 4 months to see any results AND I had to flex to see it. Now it's a bit more obvious. I also added another pasta and chicken meal since. I have a fair amount of fat that my muscles have to poke through to be seen, tho.
ffffuuuu.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads