• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Average price paid for shirts

brescd01

Reaction score
Average the cost of your shirts in January 1, 2004 US dollars, if you must.

sirgarnetwolseley

Reaction score
In the past, I've paid around $65-75 USD for English ready-made shirts but I've recently embarked upon my own custom-shirtery (a real word in my personal, made-up lexicon) odyssey (inspired by your experiences brescd01). I ordered a first shirt from Jantzen on the 1st of July and am patiently awaiting its arrival. And just last week I commissioned a first shirt from a local shirt-maker at a cost of $185 Cdn (about $141.50 US) plus 15% sales tax. Overall, the experience was very pleasant. It is a one-woman operation with a small display area at the front of the shop full of rolls of shirting materials (no books of little squares of fabric) and a workroom at the rear. Â The owner was pleasant and thoroughly answered all my questions. Regarding the design of the shirt, she acceded to all but one of my requests, and the one she declined she gave a convincing reason for. The collection of fabrics, while not overwhelmingly large, provided a lot of variety and was of a consistently high quality. There was a collection of about a dozen and half really nice sea-islands but I opted for a basic pink-on-pink stripeed poplin for my first shirt (I have no idea what mill it was from). The normal wait-time is 3 weeks but the owner said she was particularly busy and it would be 5 instead. There is no minimum order. If anyone is interested, I could give an update a month from now when the shirt is ready. Also, the owner also gave me some valuable advice on shirt care and ironing. It seems I have been doing things wrong all this time.

sirgarnetwolseley

Reaction score
Please share.

Well, nothing revelatory. Only that I should wash the shirts in warm water, hang to dry, and then lightly mist before ironing with  a dry iron. In the past, I had been taking the shirts straight from the washer and ironing with a dry iron. She explained that when taken straight from the dryer, the intelining in the collar and cuffs is too thoroughly wet to be dryed by the iron and you end up either cooking the fabric to dry the collar, or end up with a still-damp and poorly ironed collar.

She emphasised the importance of a fine mist as opposed to a thorough dampening by a harsh spray of water.

I used to wash shirts 3 at a time and it was a chore to get them all done while still damp. Now, I wash them by the half dozen and iron when I need them, or one a day, whichever is more. Again, nothing earth-shattering. In fact, this was probably recently passed on in this forum; I just failed to register the information.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
... In fact, this was probably recently passed on in this forum; I just failed to register the information.
Nothing gets the attention better than having one's money on the line
smile.gif
Friend of mine went to accupuncture for the prevention of smoking and when he was asked by his friends if it helped he said "Tell you what...After plunking down 150 bucks per session, you think twice about lighting up"
smile.gif
JJF

mano

Reaction score
Just bought a NWT Zegna Napoli Couture xxx French cuffed shirt for $31. Hot damn. The fabric and buttons are terrific. Just had to brag. LOL
blush.gif

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find that I'm most happy treating my shirts as if they were disposable. That way I don't cry when I accidentally spill stuff on them.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I included vintage/thrift store shirts (which I do occasionally wear to my office) my average goes waaaay down. But I voted according to my average for new shirts.

I'm stupid for shirts. I need to reallocate some resources toward my feet.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, is this only price paid for new shirts? I seat-of-the-pants averaged in my cost of the 12 or so "like new" Borrelli shirts I've bought on Ebay. Based on this, I put myself in the $50-100 category; counting new only, I'd definitely be over $100.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Average the cost of your shirts in January 1, 2004 US dollars, if you must.
70 euros

dhinggok

Reaction score
I buy 40 shirts from Turnbull and Asser a year right now. I get them custom made in London and I feel that with this arrangement, I really cut back on a lot of headaches I would have incurred if I had sacrificed quality for money. While I am sure there are more efficient ways to blend the two, quality and price, I feel like I know that the product I have is genuine, reliable and sharp.

gregory

Reaction score
I get 31 shirts custom made each month from Charvet Paris. I never wear the same shirt for more than one day. I get re-measured once a month to get the best possible fit.
biggrin.gif

newtrane

Reaction score
I buy 10 shirts from Pitbull and Flusser a month right now. I get them custom made in Geneva and I feel that with this arrangement, I really cut back on a lot of headaches I would have incurred if I had sacrificed quality for money. While I am sure there are more efficient ways to blend the two, quality and price, I feel like I know that the product I have is genuine, reliable and sharp.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MTM Zegna $325

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads