• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Average Person Suit Fit

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is anyone else amazed at how low % of people's suits actually fit? I think maybe 5% of the suits/sport coats I see fit properly, and maybe 1-2% are actually nice suits/sport coats. Even my girlfriend started making comments. She went to some event hosted by a billionaire, and she said his suit looked awful and was way too large....
eh.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It simply proves that clothes don't really matter any more.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
more so than bad suit fit, I'm more suprised at the awful things men put on their feet these days.

The shoes I see in NYC are awful. For every 1 pair of JL, EG, C&J, or even AEs I see, I see about 500 total pieces of **** ranging from square toes, to plasticky CG, to huge rubber soles, to completely worn out heels, to sneaker/dress shoe combos, to merrils with a suit.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
It simply proves that clothes don't really matter any more.

Sadly, this...for the most part only SFers will notice or care.

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
more so than bad suit fit, I'm more suprised at the awful things men put on their feet these days.

The shoes I see in NYC are awful. For every 1 pair of JL, EG, C&J, or even AEs I see, I see about 500 total pieces of **** ranging from square toes, to plasticky CG, to huge rubber soles, to completely worn out heels, to sneaker/dress shoe combos, to merrils with a suit.

This too...I was just in a meeting at work with about 20 other men, and I didn't see one pair of nice leather-soled dress shoes. They were all these horrible rubber-soled monstrosities.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse
Sadly, this...for the most part only SFers will notice or care.
I've had quite a few co-workers/clients comment on my clothing in a positive way. I think they notice, but they make excuses as to why they don't look that good. Such as "I don't have the money." Or "I don't want to be considered feminine/gay." (I do not hold that opinion obviously, but I have heard it before) Edit: I should add that they don't notice the small things.

NewYorkBuck

Reaction score
What I will say is this. Line up two people, twins if you will. Dress one in a $5000 bespoke suit w commensurate furnishings, and dress the other in a $150 ill-fitting special from Mens Warehouse. IMO most people will KNOW that the first guy looks far better than the other, they just wont be able to tell you exactly why.

So dont be discouraged by others who dress poorly, I think most will realize that when you look good, you look good......

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because most people neither know better, nor care.

And +1 to the ****** shoes comment. All the duck-billed corrected grain KCs I see drive me nuts. Especially when the guy has at least attempted to put some thought into the rest of his outfit.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkBuck
What I will say is this. Line up two people, twins if you will. Dress one in a $5000 bespoke suit w commensurate furnishings, and dress the other in a $150 ill-fitting special from Mens Warehouse. IMO most people will KNOW that the first guy looks far better than the other, they just wont be able to tell you exactly why. So dont be discouraged by others who dress poorly, I think most will realize that when you look good, you look good......
I don't think anybody here needs encouragements to dress better. Probably, most of us would benefit from dressing down a bit, if anything. And, of course, people notice and compliment well-dressed people. However, it's not necessary for career advancement, or to get a woman to like you. Clothes have become such an insignificant social signal that most of the time people won't treat you much differently if you were dressed up or not. Also, take notice when people around you compliment actors or movie characters on their suits. They are often ill-fitting shapeless pieces of crap. It's so unusual to see a person in a suit nowadays, that a mere fact that someone is wearing one overshadows how the suit fits. Sad.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd wager to say most, if not all, my friends will say a black suit is a staple of a business formal wardrobe.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hah, most people buying OTR simply go by nearest fit and do not bother getting it tailored. That explains ill fitting.

Furthermore, with 90% of people preferring deals to full price, they will buy an ill fitting suit on a sale versus buying one that fits better at full retail. Numerous times, when a suit goes on a sale and the persons size is not present, they would cheerfully buy the next closest size (usually larger) and if it is too long or short, nevermind
facepalm.gif
. Result is a baggy and lengthy monstrosity.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
However, it's not necessary for career advancement, or to get a woman to like you. Clothes have become such an insignificant social signal that most of the time people won't treat you much differently if you were dressed up or not.
This might be the real reason. I get asked why I'm dressed up quite frequently, even when I'm working with clients.
Originally Posted by sonick
I'd wager to say most, if not all, my friends will say a black suit is a staple of a business formal wardrobe.
+1 to that. I've had several friends actually try to tell me that I should own a black suit before a navy or charcoal one. A big part of it is also that people just don't know what a properly fitting suit looks like, so they don't even know that theirs looks terrible.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My favorite is when someone walks around with the little manufacturer tag left on their suit sleeve.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
My favorite is when someone walks around with the little manufacturer tag left on their suit sleeve.

I saw this in church on Easter. I was hoping it wasn't intentional
laugh.gif

BrianSFL

Reaction score
Much like local butchers are becoming of a thing of the past, so are tailors.

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkBuck
What I will say is this. Line up two people, twins if you will. Dress one in a $5000 bespoke suit w commensurate furnishings, and dress the other in a $150 ill-fitting special from Mens Warehouse. IMO most people will KNOW that the first guy looks far better than the other, they just wont be able to tell you exactly why.

So dont be discouraged by others who dress poorly, I think most will realize that when you look good, you look good......

+1
This actually works great for people who know how to dress. In interviews you look more refined while the other guys look sloppy, same with meetings etc. They may not know exactly what it is but they know which guy looks better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads