• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Average height for US caucasian adult males

brimley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
5' 7"... but unlike the average American male around me who is taller than I am, I'm not grossly overweight and I don't have 15% + body fat.

15% body fat measured via electrical impedance or other techniques is nowhere near grossly overweight. Overweight probably starts around 25% for men. Grossly overweight is easily 35%+

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's weird here in Spain how much a difference there is between generations. I'm 5'11" and if I am around people my age or older (30's and up) I am often one of the tallest people in the room. But college-age guys are almost always taller than me. I imagine it's some kind of nutrition thing.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nyf
Obvious answer is that people *are* getting a little taller due to nutrition and medical advances.

BMI is inaccurate for tall people because it treats size as a one dimensional value. Would you expect a person who is twice as tall as an individual to weigh twice as much? No, because three-dimensional distribution of weight increases with height. You would probably expect twice as tall to equal about four times as heavy.

If people are getting taller, and BMI underestimates height, the "acceptable" range of BMI will move upwards. But yeah, there are a lot of huge people skewing this data.

BMI=hight/length2, thus conforming to your equation.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
5' 7"... but unlike the average American male around me who is taller than I am, I'm not grossly overweight and I don't have 15% + body fat.
But you're a huge loser.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
No, BMI = weight (kg) / (height(m) squared)
ah
blush.gif
, that's what I meant to write.

BoilerRoom

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheIdler
It's weird here in Spain how much a difference there is between generations. I'm 5'11" and if I am around people my age or older (30's and up) I am often one of the tallest people in the room. But college-age guys are almost always taller than me. I imagine it's some kind of nutrition thing.
My parents grew up on amazing home-cooked meals. Nowadays, most people grow up on junk their working parents throw together. I'm pretty sure the average height has only increased about an inch in the past 50 years. The small height increase is probably due to the availability of low cost food for low-income families.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From Why There Are No Girls in San Francisco:

Just Missing is not right or wrong in any moral sense but it is impossibly awkward. The paradigmatic example is the guy who is handsome, clever, and well-built but, at the same time, 5 foot 7. Every grad school class or large corporate office has one of these dudes. He is secretly obsessed with his looks and all the cute girls platonically flirt with (but never date) him and even though he is vaguely cool and caddish he somehow doesn't seem to have any close friends and deep down you suspect he is miserable.

His curse is this: he's fractionally too short to be a Mark Whalberg man-on-campus and fractionally too tall to be a Dudley Moore diminutive wiseacre. He misses by one and a half inches in either direction. And worse, he lives out his days experiencing these brief, throw-away moments when, because everyone around happens to be seated or Asian or he's rollerblading, the world actually perceives and treats him as the unchallenged alpha. He'll spend three months getting used to being above-average ordinary, and then boom! this completely different, totally superior existence is thrown in his face for a moment or two before being ripped away. He'll never grow that one and half inches, and for this he's almost certainly doomed to the comparative obscurity of being pretty cool/athletic/handsome for a short guy, but he never feels 100% sure. There's no one in Palm Beach County to retally the votes and make an official pronouncement. So he can't let go and he can't get comfortable. He's consumed by vain ambitions and counterfactual thinking.

There are other examples of course but the same emotional affect governs them all. Just Missers are prone to a special brand of cognitive dissonance, whereby they constantly try to re-engineer (just slightly) the prevailing value system in order to invalidate the relevance of the one or two immutable traits (5ft6half!/flat-chested!/didn't get into Kellog!) that are the true and only barriers between them and wild social success but simultaneously they sense such efforts are futile - they are self-conscious of their plight - so they never stop feeling insecure and frustrated which makes them act out (at least in some situations), which is confusing (and frankly a bit irritating) to everyone else, because Just Missers burn so many calories trying to convince others that they are blithe and "above it" like elite people are supposed to be.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Why There Are No Girls in San Francisco
he's fractionally too short to be a Mark Whalberg man-on-campus
woah, i had no idea whalberg was 5'8''. now the 'see how great my life is' flauntings of entourage make sense. Actually I have no idea why whalberg is even famous... i remember him from like 2 second-rate action movies and everybody i know gets him confused with matt damon (they look almost identical).

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I consider anything over 10% BF overweight....

You've made a lot of stupid posts. This is one of the worst.

DesignerValet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
The paradigmatic example is the guy who is handsome, clever, and well-built but, at the same time, 5 foot 7. Every grad school class or large corporate office has one of these dudes. He is secretly obsessed with his looks and all the cute girls platonically flirt with (but never date) him and even though he is vaguely cool and caddish he somehow doesn't seem to have any close friends and deep down you suspect he is miserable.

how sad.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pompeii was not built very high: most of the houses are one or two floors, all of them pretty small. And yet from the way Pompeii is built you can tell people were shorter then, by like about a foot (0.3 m). Even the beds are shorter.

Damn, people in the year 4000 are gonna be tall...
wink.gif

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
most of my friends are shorter than me and smaller in general; easier to overpower them.

****?

I'm 6'2" which is my maternal grandfather's exact height (my father is around 5'9" or 5'10"). I've always been thankful that I am on the taller side. I think that 6'1"-6'3" is about the ideal height. Tall but not too tall.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads