• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
serving spam, eh?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
Avatar's writing is actually juvenile. Maybe, the point$.
Same for Star Wars, I'll just be seeing it in 3D for the special effects. I just watched the trailer and the thing seems very PC-feelgood just like any other kids movie.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's backwards, as expected.

The movie was built around the special effects/scenery. A great movie is built around the story line/dialogue.

I wouldn't see it again, but it was something I'm glad I did see, for some unexplainable reason.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the 3D is badass. i felt like i was absorbed by the world, albeit a very fruity world, but it really was an encompassing experience. it got me really excited for future movies.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only saw the digital 3D and not the IMAX 3D, but the 3D is really impressive. While the story is weak, I thought the 3D was used very well to accentuate the story. Most visually stunning film I've seen in a long time.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For such a graphically stunning movie, the whole thing was quite forgettable. Perhaps that was the intention.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
T1
T2
True Lies
Alien 2

All well written, good screenplays.

Titanic = King of the World.

Screenplay fail. No one can tell him.

Avatar's writing is actually juvenile. Maybe, the point$.

Why? Avatar's story is essentially Dance with the Wolves / The Last Samurai, but set on Pandora and set out by giant blue creatures.

In other words, it's a tried and true formula. The upside of having a familiar plot: more time to just enjoy the scenery.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
VERDICT: **** was just way too long. My date also got dizzy because we sat in the 3rd row, but mebbe she said that so I wouldn't try to make a move on her.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Someone wake me when the real Avatar movie comes out, the one being done by M. Knight Shananana.

The Last Airbender - my kids and I loved the animated series so we are waiting for that as well.

Originally Posted by countdemoney
There is a very pronounced female hip sway on the female characters that they captured extremely well in CGI. Was curious if that was from the actress or from the geeks. It seemed to be common to all the female chars. Zoe is either hella sexy in person, or the guys were spending too much time at the strip club.

Saw an interview with Cameron where he admitted that the design and animation team was all male, so the female characters are overly sexualized.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I was really disappointed after all the hype this had going for it. Had all the trappings of big Hollywood movies that I absolutely detest.

Still, worth the money to me because of the visual splendor, and the story was entertaining to watch even if I knew how it would end from 10 minutes in.

mickey711

Reaction score
I just watched the movie yesterday in Imax. So it's basically about a man who, with his fellow comrades, invades the peaceful natives who are attuned to nature. He meets a native woman with whom he falls in love with, much to the jealousy of one of the warriors who takes an instant dislike to the foreigner. Gee, where have I seen this before? The parallels to The Last Samurai and Call Me Joe are also quite uncanny. The movie's CGI, however, was indeed very impressive. I suppose the film is meant to be enjoyed for it's digital elements rather than the plot or dialogue.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
went and saw it again tonight, twice in 3 days. are there any 3D addiction support groups? i can't bear to look at the real world anymore. i'm probably gonna go see it again.
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
laugh.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Finally saw this yesterday with my wife. I was pleasantly by the quality of the storyline. I was very impressed with the film both visually and storyline wise. Sigourney Weaver and Michelle Rodriguez were terrific in their roles. The visual and sfx of course were amazing. It's like Cameron is ten years ahead of everyone else in Hollywood.

The only thing I did not like was the 3D. The glasses don't fit me well and the technology is not as seamless as I would like. Also, the Real 3D glasses decrease brightness of the screen a bit too much for me. I like a nice bright picture in the theater. I think I am going to limit my 3D movies going forward. Maybe the Imax 3D is better; I don't know.

Overall though, highly recommended.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads