• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Autumn questions!

BareSolid

Reaction score
I just ordered an overcoat from a web site called SuitsYou, looks all right for seventy-nine quid.

Now I need a fedora hat. Black. Anyone have any ideas? Budget £50.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BareSolid
Hi, I'm new here. (my my, aren't the Askandy mods harsh? I even bought his damn encyclopaedia!) OK what sports jackets are good for autumn? I take it darker colours, such as a darker olive, or grey, as well as more textured fabrics like herringbone wool would be most appropriate? As for the trousers, wool, dark? Shoes/boots? Dark suede, perhaps?
Autumn is split into two seasons on the East Coast of the USA. There's Indian Summer where basically the same rules for summer jackets apply, and then there's the chilly end of fall where it's winter rules. Pray tell, what happened to you over at AAAC?

BareSolid

Reaction score
No, no, I'm talking about English Autumn. The rainy cold English Autumn, where the falling of the leaves signals the end of one's abilities to see the big ol' ball of fire in the sky.

Online retailers?
Hat advice?
Jacket advice?
Shoes?

BareSolid

Reaction score
I'd rather a hat than a brolly in the rain.
Thanks for the help.

BareSolid

Reaction score
I'd rather a fedora than a trilby, and bear in mind I'd only be wearing this with a coat when it's raining and cold. Not as some sort of accessory item. Christy's seems like a good make.

kuwisdelu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kingstonian
Not sure anyone needs a hat though - especially a student.

Nonsense!

I refuse to carry an umbrella to class. I always forget about it and leave it behind. I never forget my fedoras.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BareSolid
I'd rather a fedora than a trilby, and bear in mind I'd only be wearing this with a coat when it's raining and cold. Not as some sort of accessory item. Christy's seems like a good make.

It is more of a fedora despite the trilby classification.

Try googling Hornets Hats for the full range in every colour they make

or

Fedora Lounge for hat obsessives.

BareSolid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kingstonian
It is more of a fedora despite the trilby classification.

Try googling Hornets Hats for the full range in every colour they make

or

Fedora Lounge for hat obsessives.

Oh yes! Forgive me for being rash, I didn't really look past the big bold lettering. I see now.

The £50 Knightsbridge in black looks pretty good. Might get that.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you've got a branch of Slaters nearby they sell Failsworth Fedoras for under £50 - not amazing but good for the price.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Autumn is split into two seasons on the East Coast of the USA. There's Indian Summer where basically the same rules for summer jackets apply, and then there's the chilly end of fall where it's winter rules.

Pray tell, what happened to you over at AAAC?

What?!??!?! WHAT???!?

RULEZ??????????

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads