• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Auto Show – 2007 Paris – Part 7 – Mercedes Benz SLR and AMG CL63

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mercedes Benz had one of the handsome SLRs on display with an AMG CL63.

SLR
AutoShow2006Paris-MBSLR-001.jpg

AutoShow2006Paris-MBSLRDiptych-001.jpg

AutoShow2006Paris-MBSLRDiptych-002.jpg

AutoShow2006Paris-MBSLRDiptych-004.jpg

AutoShow2006Paris-MBSLRDiptych-003.jpg

AMG CL63
AutoShow2006Paris-MBCL63AMG-001.jpg

linux_pro

Reaction score
Hey look, it's the Bat-Mobile!! (the SLR)

I was seriously considering an SLK 55 AMG, but then went and test-drove one. They drive like bathtubs with a big engine. After driving a Porsche Cayman S and a BMW M3 earlier in the day, driving that SLK was a major disappointment. I've always found the AMGs to be majorly disappointing, especially in the handling department. It's like any Mercedes with a V8 or bigger just has terrible handling characteristics, and I'm definitely including the SL500 and SL600 here.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, like your average muscle car, you can add more power to make it go fast but ponderous inertia cannot be overcome by something so crude.
In short, Colin Chapman was right
smile.gif

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Yeah, like your average muscle car, you can add more power to make it go fast but ponderous inertia cannot be overcome by something so crude.
In short, Colin Chapman was right
smile.gif

Yes; he was right. That is why I have kept this car for thirty-three years since new. If I am not careful, it going to reach 50,000 miles on the odometer in the next three or four years! It's my 1973 Elan Sprint 5 Speed. Of all our cars, this one is still my favorite to drive.

I am always looking for an excuse to post this photo! That's our Bedlington, Phoebe, behind the wheel at Windan'Sea Beach a few blocks from our home.

LaJollaWindnseaElanandPhoebe.jpg

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by linux_pro
That is a gorgeous roadster.

Thank you, linux-pro. I don't want to hijack my own thread. However, I do love the car!

linux_pro

Reaction score
Well, I completely understand why your wife would arm wrestle you for the privilege of driving it.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That CL is badass.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Full Canvas
Yes; he was right. That is why I have kept this car for thirty-three years since new. If I am not careful, it going to reach 50,000 miles on the odometer in the next three or four years! It's my 1973 Elan Sprint 5 Speed. Of all our cars, this one is still my favorite to drive.

I am always looking for an excuse to post this photo! That's our Bedlington, Phoebe, behind the wheel at Windan'Sea Beach a few blocks from our home.

LaJollaWindnseaElanandPhoebe.jpg

What a pretty Elan. FC, you have good taste
smile.gif

I am still not sure if I like the look of the SLR but it certainly has presence!

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
What a pretty Elan. FC, you have good taste
smile.gif

I am still not sure if I like the look of the SLR but it certainly has presence!

Thanks for your compliment!

As for the SLR, it is one of those "you either like it or you don't" designs. I don't. There are three of the things running around here in La Jolla. They are black, silver, and white. The car is huge for a two seater. I suppose I am thinking in relative terms to my DHC.
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads