• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Auto Navigation Systems

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought I'd revive the navigation discussion. After a while of using this thing (Nuvi 350) I can say it has impressed me in some aspects and let me down in others.

As far as route calculation goes, it will get you to where you want to go, but by far not the best way. And if you have it set to the "Shortest Route" rather than "Faster Time" setting, it gives you some idiotic ass routes. Nothing can compare to having local knowledge of the area.

Where I think it really shines are the points of interest built in, the stats (odometer, average speed, max speed, etc), and the fact that I don't have to mess around with key maps and mapquest anymore.

I guess I drew the short end of the stick on the iron deposits in my face or whatever you are talking about Tokyo, I'm great at getting lost.

BTW Google Maps on a Blackberry kicks ass

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own a Garmin 350 as well. Just got it, so I don't know what I think of it yet.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am using a TomTom these days.

I use it as a reference only it is cool, I have a 3D view that shows me the way, but I keep my eyes open and chose my own ways when I want. The device is smart enought to recalculate the routes and give me more advice.

But this is true, before I was able to get to timbuktu reading a map. now I don't use paper maps anymore and I got used to this easy navigation tool. I even removed the map collection from my car. I am afraid that in some time If it breaks I wouldn't find my way anymore
eek.gif
laugh.gif

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just get the lower model Garmin for around $300 and save $200. It still gets you to your destination just like the $500 model.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What model Dragon? Does it speak the road names? That is what made me decide to spend the extra 200, for that feature.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my TomTom has Marylin Monroe's voice

You have reached your destination Mr. President !

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah - 350 is the cheapest model that speaks the street names.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I`m not sure of the exact model (I think it`s the 330). It doesn`t speak road names, but says turn in xxxfeet.

One of my rental cars in L.A. came with it, so I thought I`d mention it in this thread.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dunno. I'm sure the ones that just tell you to turn in X feet are good as well, but dictating street names is great for complex intersections

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads