Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Authortarian tie knot

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by djordje esquire, Oct 19, 2009.

1. djordje esquire

djordje esquire Member

What is authoritarian tie knot to show power? I am not autocrat but I do wish to improve my respect with colleagues. They are really pompous asses but in work what else can we do? I currently tie with a half windsor but it needs more surface area with large collars.

2. Don Carlos

Don Carlos In Time Out

Best first post ever?

3. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

Ask our resident Power Knot expert.
    There have been several (largely sarcastic) requests for my outfits in other threads, predominantly of the "I cant believe you wear that crap until I see it" variety. I promised to deliver pictures, and here they are. These are several outfits that I have worn recently and received numerous compliments on, perhaps more than usual. Most are coat/tie/jeans/shoes you guys dont like. A suit, the light makes it look brighter and bolder than it is: [​IMG] [​IMG] This shirt, tie, and coat were all thrift shop finds: [​IMG] [​IMG] This shirt was a Christmas gift, it is several sizes too large, but I love the design so I kept it: [​IMG] [​IMG] The infamous pony shoes, with an equally outrageous tie knot: [​IMG] [​IMG] Similar ensemble, but with a sweater: [​IMG] [​IMG] A step further casual, no tie: [​IMG] [​IMG] I expect a lot of criticism, and that's fine, but remember, it's unlikely to have any effect. I love my clothes, I love my shoes, and except where mentioned, everything fits the way I want it to. Here we go!

4. dv3

dv3 Senior member

What is authoritarian tie knot to show power? I am not autocrat but I do wish to improve my respect with colleagues. They are really pompous asses but in work what else can we do? I currently tie with a half windsor but it needs more surface area with large collars.
    The answer might be staring you in the face.

5. gsugsu

gsugsu Senior member

6. RSS

RSS Senior member

What is authoritarian tie knot to show power?
    I suggest that you ask Dick Cheney. As our VP, he was a tad authoritarian.

7. djordje esquire

djordje esquire Member

I suggest that you ask Dick Cheney. As our VP, he was a tad authoritarian.

I hope it doesn't break a knee but Dick Cheney looks like a man who never grew hairs on his chest and I don't think it because of his bald head.

8. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

This guy in the pictures may very well become my avatar.

9. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

10. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I hope it doesn't break a knee but Dick Cheney looks like a man who never grew hairs on his chest and I don't think it because of his bald head.

[​IMG]

11. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

i may be one of the few that thinks the simple fih knot is the most authoritative look for a tie.

i find all the other knots like the windsor, et al are too dandyish to lend itself to authoritative looks. fih is most practical, slightly askew, manly, and a roll-up your sleeve sort of authoritative inclination.

12. superfans124

superfans124 Senior member

Beijing -> D.C. -> HK -> Beijing -> now where?
    let Spiffy go, please... he doesn't live in that dimension of reality anymore.

13. Butterfly

Butterfly Senior member

i may be one of the few that thinks the simple fih knot is the most authoritative look for a tie.

i find all the other knots like the windsor, et al are too dandyish to lend itself to authoritative looks. fih is most practical, slightly askew, manly, and a roll-up your sleeve sort of authoritative inclination.

I agree, but I wouldn't describe the windsor as "dandyish". I would say it's authoritarian in its inclination, yet fails as such - it tries too hard. It also appeals to men who don't understand the history of clothes and who associate the symmetricality of the windsor with greater correctness and formality, in spite of the fact that the four-in-hand is the original and proper way to tie a necktie. In a word, the windsor is vulgar.

However, I respect those who are able to tie it well (and can be bothered to do it) - I admire it on the rare occasions when it really looks good. It's definitely the trickiest knot to tie and coordinate elegantly.

14. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I agree, but I wouldn't describe the windsor as "dandyish". I would say it's authoritarian in its inclination, yet fails as such - it tries too hard. It also appeals to men who don't understand the history of clothes and who associate the symmetricality of the windsor with greater correctness and formality, in spite of the fact that the four-in-hand is the original and proper way to tie a necktie. In a word, the windsor is vulgar.

However, I respect those who are able to tie it well (and can be bothered to do it) - I admire it on the rare occasions when it really looks good. It's definitely the trickiest knot to tie and coordinate elegantly.

For the look he wants to achieve, the 4IH is a fail. A knot slightly askew says 'dont take me seriously' to the types he works with.

15. MiloX

MiloX Senior member

go with the pratt shelby. very easy knot to tie... symmetrical, medium sized, with a great dimple: [​IMG]