• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Authenticity issue with an ebay seller

Thumby55

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've noticed this seller on ebay who sells lots of shirts at ridiculous prices. I would've assumed these were fakes just because he's selling so many of them at such cheap prices. Anyway, the labels on the shirt look right: gucci shirts prada shirts

MikeF

Reaction score
Fakes, but good ones. He says they're from India; I would have guessed Korea.

jimboni

Reaction score
I knew they were fake, but how did you know exactly?
The Prada shirts look like standard department store buttondowns (or did I miss a collection?).

Thumby55

Reaction score
Hmmm, here's a comparison: AUTHENTIC:
78_1.JPG
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
:
a7_1.JPG

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that the shirts are fake. Also, are you sure that the ones you showed in the last post (Thumby55) are authentic? I have numerous Prada dress and casual shirts, from different seasons, and all from high end retail stores like Barney's or Maxfield, and they *all* have the size directly on the "Prada" label at the back of the shirt. The exact design of the label varies, from a smaller black font on a white background on a longer, thinner, label to a larger, same colored (either black or white) font on a more squared label, but the size is invariably directly to the right of the "Prada". I have *never* seen Prada shirts with a separate size tag, either on shirts made for domestic (Italy) or import (U.S.A) purposes, unlike gucci shirts. Also, you should ask if there are upside down triangular reinforcements at the side seams, which Prada shirts invariably have.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, ask to see the black care tag found on the bottom left side of the shirt. For some reason, a lot of fakes either forget this altogether, or get the script wrong, which is funny, since you'd figure that you'd have to buy just one authentic shirt, and transcribe directly. There are other telltail signs, but stick with those for now. Honestly though, if you want real Prada shirts without the headaches and doubts, and at a discount, just phone up a shop like Maxfield Bleu in L.A. and see what they have. While you're there, pick up a $500 (down from $1000) Voyage shirt that no-one in their right minds would want to fake.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And yes, the fakes are getting better. Premium fakes from Hong Kong are nearly indistinguishable from the real thing, are available for any brand from Louis Vuitton (apparently a bestseller) to Hermes (top quality leather is used, from what I hear) to Borrelli.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fake Borrelli shirts??? Borrelli has so many details (so, so many) that I can't imagine anyone who knows borrelli shirts being fooled. Unless the "fake" is actually a really well made shirt itself.

Thumby55

Reaction score
Thanks for the info everyone. As always the styleforum people come through with some prompt answers. I never really thought they were authentic, I'm just always trying to sharpen my eye for that sort of thing.

I just wish Toronto had somewhere like Century 21 that I could go to. The Harry Rosen outlet in the suburbs is pretty much shite (excuse my proper english).

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While we are on this topic, what do you think of the items offered by this seller? I almost picked up a pair of Helmut Lang jeans from him last time for only buy-it-now of $30. Ebay pulled all of his auctions before I could do so. Wonder why they pulled them? The stuff seems WAY too cheap; it is priced lower than similar items on ebay. Yet, he only has one negative, and he has many very recent positive feedbacks. What do you think? Is this a safe seller?

MikeF

Reaction score
Feedback is useless. I see sellers pushing the most obviously fake Prada merchandise who have 99.9% positive feedback. It just goes to show that the vast majority of people don't have a clue what the hell they're buying.

rjsphd

Reaction score
Indeed.

I just sent a leather jacket back to paypal, for the purchase insurance, that I am 80% sure is fake Ruffo--either that or Ruffo makes some real junk, too. Label and tag looked close.

Rob

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Feedback is useless.  I see sellers pushing the most obviously fake Prada merchandise who have 99.9% positive feedback.  It just goes to show that the vast majority of people don't have a clue what the hell they're buying.
Very true. I see many sellers with obvious fakes (fake D&G, Prada, Diesel jeans offered by a seller in Turkey, fake Diesel T-shirts with the words 'ultra-violent skin block' printed on them from a seller in Asia) and they all have respectable feedbacks. Either people have NO clue whatsoever when it comes to the products they are purchasing, or they are afraid to leave a negative because they will get one in return.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads