• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

authenticity check: Ralph Lauren + CK sports coat.

jiratic

Reaction score

jiratic

Reaction score
believe me if i had the money right now (university student), i'd fork out 500 odd for a nice purple/black label sports coat and be guaranteed of its authenticity.
have to make do ) :

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score
I see no reason why someone would want to counterfeit Lauren RL or CK suit/sportcoat as they retail not much more than the price listing on ebay. Counterfeiters probably have more to gain on higher priced clothing from Armani, Prada, D&G and others that retail in the thousands.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jiratic
believe me if i had the money right now (university student), i'd fork out 500 odd for a nice purple/black label sports coat and be guaranteed of its authenticity.
have to make do ) :

That brand doesn't have anything to do with RL's design and quality. RLPL and RLBL don't have jackets for $500. I love how you say you want those labels yet you pick out a label that, correct if I am wrong, has almost no connection to RL?

stylesmurf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oaw01
It's a Lauren - why bother...
Street vendors were selling fake Polo shirts with the humongo horse and even regular polos in Asia when I was there for very cheap. Why bother with those as well? There are a few large sites dedicated to selling large brand labels like this from china and there are quite a few sellers buying this fake stuff in bulk and reselling on ebay. This is why I avoid like the plague unless it's something unique. Polo is faked up the wazoo (some are stolen from the factory or seconds, but there's no way to tell what's what)

jiratic

Reaction score
a) its very hard to find a good size 36 sports coat/blazer where i live.
b) of the ones i found online, there were very few of good label (not that label is that important, but as the saying goes , better the devil you know, then the one you dont know.
c) RLBL coats go on this site for around 450-600 from what i've seen.
d) i am welcome to any suggestions not related to ebay that a student could resonably afford

spidercan

Reaction score
I generally trust sellers with a ton of ratings and a total rating above 99%. Maybe I'm just gullible. The reason people are discouraging the buy is because blazer you linked was a "Lauren" by Ralph Lauren which I've heard is not even owned by Ralph Lauren anymore. The quality is significantly worse than even the Polo Ralph Lauren stuff. There was a brand new black Armani Collezioni Blazer being sold on the B&S (buying and selling sub-forum of this website) for about $170 a few weeks ago. I'm pretty sure it was a 36, you might want to see if it's still available.

jiratic

Reaction score
thanks for the help, you have discouraged me from splurging unwisely.
I will save up for a nice sports coat off here, black label maybe?
any advice on color + combinations of shirt +jeans

i.e. does navy sportscoat + blue/white striped dress shirt + dark jeans go well.
not currently owning a sportscoat, i'd like some advice on color combinations+ shoes and whatnot.
cheers!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads